Recommended per package configs for testing programs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZekeMorrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Recommended per package configs for testing programs Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo community, I'd like to learn that if there are any recommended config files which will reside in /etc/portage/env for testing packages.
What I want to test is some packages compiled with LLVM/Clang and with ThinlLTO feature of Clang.

I've seen this guide https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_testing for testing packages but it seems some of these flags here are GCC specific.

What I really want to test is, net-libs/nodejs package which I use it everyday, at the time I compiled this package the "lto" use flag was masked but I unmasked the use flag and compiled it with Clang + ThinLTO. Aside few compiling warnings, nothing seem out of ordinary. Since I compiled it and using it, also everything seems perfectly fine too.

I just want to be sure that in the background things are working as it's supposed to be. So I'd be happy if you can share some config files for per package basis and any tools that I can use for package testing.

And I can report my findings somewhere convenient for the community as well.

Thanks and happy coding ^_^
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended per package configs for testing programs Reply with quote

ZekeMorrin wrote:

What I really want to test is, net-libs/nodejs package which I use it everyday, at the time I compiled this package the "lto" use flag was masked but I unmasked the use flag and compiled it with Clang + ThinLTO. Aside few compiling warnings, nothing seem out of ordinary. Since I compiled it and using it, also everything seems perfectly fine too.

I just want to explain this mask: It broke reverse dependencies, so packages that depends on nodejs. And finding the issue wasn't so simple. I'll update the profile mask message, but just so you know - if you start seeing weird stuff happening on programs that depend on nodejs, recompile nodejs and recompile the programs depending on it.
ZekeMorrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just want to explain this mask: It broke reverse dependencies, so packages that depends on nodejs. And finding the issue wasn't so simple. I'll update the profile mask message, but just so you know - if you start seeing weird stuff happening on programs that depend on nodejs, recompile nodejs and recompile the programs depending on it.

Thank you very much for the heads up! I really appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: