Please provide a Minimal Installation CD with systemd
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucatrv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Please provide a Minimal Installation CD with systemd Reply with quote

Currently the Gentoo handbook provides systemd instructions alongside OpenRC, however most systemd commands will not work until the system is rebooted with systemd running. So for instance the `timedatectl` command cannot be used during installation to set the timezone, same for the `localectl` to set the locales, the `hostnamectl` to set the hostname, or the `systemctl enable dhcpcd` command to enable the DHCP service.
This unnecessarily complicates the Gentoo installation experience in comparison for instance to Arch Linux for people who, like myself, already know how to configure systems with systemd, and would like to install Gentoo with systemd.

To greatly simplify the installation process of Gentoo with systemd, a Minimal Installation CD with systemd should be made available alongside the OpenRC CD.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Please provide a Minimal Installation CD with systemd Reply with quote

While I do not use systemd, I do know responses to these concerns.
lucatrv wrote:
So for instance the `timedatectl` command cannot be used during installation to set the timezone, same for the `localectl` to set the locales, the `hostnamectl` to set the hostname

This is exactly what the systemd-firstboot utility does and recommended in the Handbook for good reason.
lucatrv wrote:
or the `systemctl enable dhcpcd` command to enable the DHCP service.

I could be wrong but this should still succeed to create the symlink, which is the real point of the command during the LiveCD bootstrap phase.

Anyone can request a different LiveCD as a bug. It may or may not be granted by the release team and may take some time.
lucatrv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Please provide a Minimal Installation CD with systemd Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
This is exactly what the systemd-firstboot utility does and recommended in the Handbook for good reason.

@grknight, thanks for your answer, to verify the current Gentoo handbook instructions myself, I started again a brand new `systemd` installation. Things work quite well actually (for instance the handbook correctly states that the `/etc/hostname` file should not be set manually as it will be set automatically by `systemd-firstboot`, see: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System#systemd), then when I run `systemd-firstboot --prompt` (see: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/System#systemd_2) I get a confusing message. `systemd-firstboot` asks me to enter the system key map name, then it outputs:
Quote:

/etc/vconsole.conf written
System has not been booten with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate. Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

(the second message is in red).

After this, the file `/etc/vconsole.conf` exists, so I guess the red error message should just be ignored. That message is what confused me the first time, I thought the configuration was not set correctly so I repeated everything after rebooting the system with `systemd` (without using `systemd-firstboot` of course).

I think that this should be mentioned in the handbook, to clarify that the red error message should be ignored. I reported this on the relative handbook discussion page: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook_Talk:AMD64/Installation/System#systemd-firstboot_fails_on_the_official_minimal_cd
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: