obs-studio
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: obs-studio Reply with quote

hello, I'm trying to find out why my obs-studio doesn't have all the features, at the place where I select the sources I don't have the screenshot, I went to my brother-in-law who obs- studio too, it is on another distribution, with it there is the option for screenshot
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know of a screenshot action in the context-menu when right-clicking the preview area.

Are you sure that is the name of an actual 'source'?

Some of the screen/display capture sources require PipeWire (and possibly Wayland), and likely an 'xdg-desktop-portal' implementation that supports them, which I have not properly wired up with the required packages yet (they seem to show up in a KDE Plasma install I have in a VM, where they show no image, but that might be due to the VM I maybe guess).

Will need to know the exact name of the source to be able to say for sure (I can't quite imagine how a 'screenshot' would work as a 'source' in any case).
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes to film your office you have to add a source to be able to do it, on the other hand you are right when I went to my brother-in-law, this function required pipewire, I did not choose pipewire I took pulseaudio, it is less good what pipewire? the word source in the obs-studio application, it can be an audio or video source, it is in this sense but you have to choose one
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe that's the problem, I don't have pipewire, can we install pipewire and pulseaudio at the same time?
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OULLLLLA, I have another problem, is profile 17 experimental? I didn't know, do you have a tutorial for switching to profile 23 which is stable now? Please
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pabloblo wrote:
yes to film your office you have to add a source to be able to do it, on the other hand you are right when I went to my brother-in-law, this function required pipewire, I did not choose pipewire I took pulseaudio, it is less good what pipewire? the word source in the obs-studio application, it can be an audio or video source, it is in this sense but you have to choose one

If it's something on your screen you want to capture, not through an actual camera, there should also be a 'Sreen Capture (XSHM)' and 'Window Capture (Xcomposite)' without PipeWire at least if running an X11 session (not Wayland).

But if you mean through a camera, then there is 'v4l' for that, but PipeWire also has a 'beta' feature for it now.

When I added the USE-flag for it, I probably should have named it 'screencast' instead, because that is what it is mainly used for in OBS Studio, not for audio (although on Gentoo Linux I think you should be able to use it for audio, too, instead of PulseAudio, but I never used either myself so I'm not entirely sure).

I am still unsure what exactly is required for the PipeWire sources work, but if you are running a KDE, GNOME, or Wayland desktop session, it might just work if you build with PipeWire, and PulseAudio might still work for the audio parts, but again, I'm not sure.

Probably best to take a look here:

- https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/PipeWire

pabloblo wrote:
OULLLLLA, I have another problem, is profile 17 experimental? I didn't know, do you have a tutorial for switching to profile 23 which is stable now? Please

See for example:

- https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Toolchain/23.0_update_instructions
pabloblo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you chiitoo, I migrated the computer to profile 23, I think it worked well however, I'm still on version 6.6.21 of the kernel, is it normal that it hasn't changed?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if stable is what you are following, 6.6.21 seems to be the current stable version of 'gentoo-sources'.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only can both PipeWire and PulseAudio be installed at the same time, PipeWire needs Pulse installed in order to support the many applications which are still Pulse-only (rather than being able to use PipeWire directly / 'natively'). However, only one of the two should be providing a sound server, otherwise they'll be fighting over who controls audio.

Concretely:

* The 'pulseaudio' USE flag should be globally enabled when using either PulseAudio or PipeWire.

* If you want PipeWire to provide the sound server, set the 'sound-server' USE flag on media-video/pipewire, and ensure that media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon is not installed.

* If you want PulseAudio to provide the sound server, make the sure that media-sound/pulseaudio-daemon is installed, and that the 'sound-server' USE flag is not set on media-video/pipewire.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: