Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What happens if I don't execute emptytree?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlosk465
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: What happens if I don't execute emptytree? Reply with quote

I updated the gento profile to 23, but I have not executed the last instruction:
Code:
emerge --emptytree

What happens if I don't? Are a lot of packages, more than 1400.

My computer has completely frozen several times since then, I can only force restart it, normally when I'm watching a video, the sound stays on an endless loop, repeating the last 2 seconds of sound. Is this the cause or is it some different problem?
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't important for the continued proper running of your computer, the developers wouldn't have agreed that it's a necessary step. Much has already been posted in the Portage forum about this. If your Gentoo installation isn't valuable to you, feel free to continue to ignore the instructions.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably safer to delay profile the change until you can allocate enough time to perform that emerge.
If computer speed is an issue you can try binary packages until you can rebuild them.
It is probably not very critical to rebuild biggest packages like chromium and libreoffice, etc. right away so these can be excluded from emerge and updated when necessary.

The configuration in question will definitely be experimental... which by itself doesn't say anything will break or won't work. Only means you might get different issues.
If you want to maximize chances of hitting rare bugs not doing this emerge is the way forward. Though who knows, maybe doing it like that won't yeld any bugs or even will avoid serious issues. You never know with these things and I doubt extensive testing was done to arrive at the recommendation do do emerge --emptytree @world...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: