Downgrade trouble after xz mask
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anard
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Downgrade trouble after xz mask Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post, and the first 3 replies, were originally attached to the topic The xz package has been backdoored. This is a more general Portage question due to a mask, not related to the backdoor problem as such. Therefore, I split it off to reduce clutter in the backdoor thread. -Hu]

Hi.

I just saw that portage can't perform update @world as >xz-utils-5.4.6 is masked.
But I can't downgrade. Could you help me please ?

Code:
# emerge -a1 =app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 --backtrack=30
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 21.05 s (backtrack: 3/30).

[ebuild     UD ] app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 [5.4.6-r1] ABI_X86="-32*"

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

app-arch/xz-utils:0

(app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) USE="extra-filters nls -doc -pgo -static-libs -verify-sig" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" pulled in by
    =app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 (Argument)

(app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.6-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed) USE="extra-filters nls -doc -pgo -static-libs -verify-sig" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" pulled in by
    >=app-arch/xz-utils-5.0.5-r1:0/0=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (dev-libs/libxml2-2.12.5:2/2::gentoo, installed) USE="ftp icu lzma python readline -debug -examples -static-libs -test" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11 -python3_10 -python3_12"

>=app-arch/xz-utils-5.0.5-r1:=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?] required by (dev-libs/libxml2-2.12.5:2/2::gentoo, installed) USE="ftp icu lzma python readline -debug -examples -static-libs -test" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11 -python3_10 -python3_12"

Isn't 5.4.2 >= 5.0.5-r1 ? I don't understand what is blocking downgrade...

Thanks

[EDIT]
OK
Seems that USE "dev-libs/libxml2 -lzma" did the trick but I don't understand why...
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anard, I'm having the same problem but just "-lzma"ing dev-libs/libxml2 doesn't do the trick for me (and I don't know if I want to/should mark -lzma globally). Also, I'm to puzzled by the blocking (apparently, nothing requires xz-utils>5.0.5 8O
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anard wrote:
Code:
# emerge -a1 =app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 --backtrack=30
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Dependency resolution took 21.05 s (backtrack: 3/30).

[ebuild     UD ] app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 [5.4.6-r1] ABI_X86="-32*"

Isn't 5.4.2 >= 5.0.5-r1 ? I don't understand what is blocking downgrade...

You have a version restricted entry in package.use. Notice the -32* in the output. the * means changed.
IMHO, package.use entries should not be version restricted unless there's a good reason. Unfortunately, that's what autounmask does without input.
prometeh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mani001, take a look at all the packages that show in the conflict while trying to downgrade, if they are using a lzma, you have to omit it from the builds of those packages. I needed to add "-lzma" to not only "dev-libs/libxml2" but also to "dev-libs/elfutils", "sys-libs/libunwind" and "media-libs/tiff".
I can also confirm that after downgrading, you can add "lzma" back to the packages. Furthermore, I'm just assuming it's just an order issue during compiling/building packages, but I'm very newbie so take it with a grain of salt :wink: .

EDIT: you might also double-check the "package.use" file/directory for commenting out ">=app-arch/xz-utils-5.6.1 abi_x86_32" as it might have been added during latest "dispatch-conf" command.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anard wrote:
Code:
    >=app-arch/xz-utils-5.0.5-r1:=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?] required by (dev-libs/libxml2-2.12.5:2/2::gentoo, installed) USE="ftp icu lzma python readline -debug -examples -static-libs -test" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11 -python3_10 -python3_12"
[EDIT]
OK
Seems that USE "dev-libs/libxml2 -lzma" did the trick but I don't understand why...
Your change probably caused dev-libs/libxml2 not to RDEPEND on any version of app-arch/xz-utils in any configuration, thus making the unacceptable USE flags irrelevant. The advice from the posters above me looks sound. If you still need help, show the output of grep -r -e xz-utils -e libxml2 /etc/portage/package.use.

mani001 wrote:
Anard, I'm having the same problem but just "-lzma"ing dev-libs/libxml2 doesn't do the trick for me (and I don't know if I want to/should mark -lzma globally). Also, I'm to puzzled by the blocking (apparently, nothing requires xz-utils>5.0.5 8O
If the described change does not work for you, then you do not have exactly the same problem. Per Guidelines item #4, please provide us the command(s) you ran and their full output.
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up globally disabling lzma through ufed, and nothing broke, so s'all good :D Actually, I did because in another newer (gentoo-based) computer it's not even on by default.

Thanks for the tips, anyway!!
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: An even simpler solution on another machine of mine:
Code:
sudo emerge -1 app-arch/xz-utils dev-libs/libxml2 sys-apps/systemd

-----

What worked for me to solve the conflict, based on Portage output:

1. Remove the following from /etc/portage/package.use (was added via dispatch-conf recently)
Code:
# required by sys-apps/systemd-255.3-r1::gentoo[lzma]
# required by sys-kernel/dracut-060_pre20240104-r4::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.6-r1 abi_x86_32

2. Add
Code:
dev-libs/libxml2 -lzma
sys-apps/systemd -lzma
to /etc/portage/package.use

3. Re-compile dev-libs/libxml2 and sys-apps/systemd without lzma USE flag:
Code:
sudo emerge -1 dev-libs/libxml2 sys-apps/systemd

4. After running
Code:
sudo emerge -1 app-arch/xz-utils
, dispatch-conf wanted to add
Code:
# required by sys-apps/systemd (argument)
>=app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.2 abi_x86_32
to /etc/portage/package.use so I accepted the change and run the command again, app-arch/xz-utils was then correctly downgraded to 5.4.2.

5. Undo step 2 and redo step 3 so that both dev-libs/libxml2 sys-apps/systemd are compiled with lzma USE flag again.
Eggplants
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
What worked for me to solve the conflict, based on Portage output:

1. Remove the following from /etc/portage/package.use (was added via dispatch-conf recently)
Code:
# required by sys-kernel/dracut-060_pre20240104-r4::gentoo
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
>=app-arch/xz-utils-5.4.6-r1 abi_x86_32

I had to replace this last line with:

Code:

app-arch/xz-utils abi_x86_32

rather than removing it.

The remaining steps work, except since I don't use systemd I didn't re-emerge that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: