Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] NFS not starting (rpc.statd needs rpcbind)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Maniac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: [solved] NFS not starting (rpc.statd needs rpcbind) Reply with quote

Hi.

Since a few days (or even weeks), NFS won't start anymore - or at least not automatically.
It fails at
Code:
Starting NFS statd
- in logs, I see
Code:
rpc.statd[3262]: Failed to register (statd, 1, udp): svc_reg() err: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

I already figured out, that rpc.statd seems to need rpcbind (which it also started before this error arose). But rpcbind even was unmerged and if I merge it and add it to default runlevel, it will be started AFTER statd.

When I start rpcbind and THEN nfs (manually) everything works just fine. I have this problem on my server with the NFS daemon and also on my PC with nfs-client - but here, mounting NFS volumes also works without statd.

I've already searched the bugtracker, forum and wiki but did not find anyone else with this problem or anything related to nfs+rpcbind.

Any suggestions? Did I just forget anything at all, so that rpcbind was removed? Or should it somehow work without it? Should I file a bug? Should I modify runscript in the time being, so that nfs depends on rpcbind?
Gentoo Linux (most recent stable kernel - amd64)
Windows 11 x64

Last edited by Mr_Maniac on Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rpc.idmapd, rpc.statd, nfs, and nfsclient scripts already depend on rpcbind indirectly with "need portmap" and the corresponding "provide portmap" in rpcbind.
Theoretically, other services could also "provide portmap" to satisfy.

net-fs/nfs-utils does pull in rpcbind when the (default on) nfsv3 USE is enabled

Edit, rpc.statd is only used for NFSv2 and NFSv3. If only NFSv4 is in use, then one could put rc_need="!rpc.statd !portmap" in /etc/conf.d/nfsd and/or /etc/conf.d/nfsclient
Mr_Maniac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. The rc_need helped. I only use NFSv4. But it's still strange, why it didn't correctly depend on rpcbind, at least for me... Maybe if I had re-emerged with nfs3...

But since I use NFSv4 only, this actually may be the better solution (there is also an old ticket https://bugs.gentoo.org/529568 that mentions this).
Gentoo Linux (most recent stable kernel - amd64)
Windows 11 x64
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: