Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
I never recommend "--keep-going" ... because if there is an error it is better to find the reason for it and then correct the error before starting emerge again. If someone is afraid to start "emerge -e" again, then I want point to this brilliant solution from @Massimo B. =>

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8821469.html#8821469
Yea, I ended up starting my world update without using --keep-going. That solution in the other thread is interesting...unfortunately neither of the machines I'm updating have eix installed.

In the event of, for example, a failure that I'm able to resolve, would re-running the same emerge command with --resume continue starting with the failed package?...and should the --resume be specified without also using --emtytree?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event of an --emptytree failure, I note the failure, then restart with "emerge --skipfirst --resume" where --skpfirst jumps over the failed package, and --resume restarts the incomplete emerge where it left off. I've heard that syntax is important such that --skipfirst should come ahead of --resume in order to have the right effect. If I'm wrong about that, it's a harmless wrong.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
figueroa wrote:
Code:
emerge --ask --emptytree --exclude "$(qlist -IC acct-) dev-build/libtool $(qlist -IC media-fonts/) sys-apps/baselayout sys-devel/binutils sys-devel/gcc sys-firmware/intel-microcode sys-kernel/gentoo-sources sys-kernel/linux-firmware sys-kernel/linux-headers sys-libs/glibc $(qlist -IC -- -bin) $(qlist -IC virtual/)" @world

FWIW, you can replace most of those qlist commands with, e.g., virtual/* and the like in the exclude list.

Thank you, grknight. That's good to know. I wasn't sure about using wildcards. I checked each of those qlists elements and they run fast and work as intended.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
grknight wrote:
figueroa wrote:
Code:
emerge --ask --emptytree --exclude "$(qlist -IC acct-) dev-build/libtool $(qlist -IC media-fonts/) sys-apps/baselayout sys-devel/binutils sys-devel/gcc sys-firmware/intel-microcode sys-kernel/gentoo-sources sys-kernel/linux-firmware sys-kernel/linux-headers sys-libs/glibc $(qlist -IC -- -bin) $(qlist -IC virtual/)" @world

FWIW, you can replace most of those qlist commands with, e.g., virtual/* and the like in the exclude list.

Thank you, grknight. That's good to know. I wasn't sure about using wildcards. I checked each of those qlists elements and they run fast and work as intended.

Like everything with portage, this only works with a full category and * as the package. Partial names will not work
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
In the event of an --emptytree failure, I note the failure, then restart with "emerge --skipfirst --resume" where --skpfirst jumps over the failed package, and --resume restarts the incomplete emerge where it left off. I've heard that syntax is important such that --skipfirst should come ahead of --resume in order to have the right effect. If I'm wrong about that, it's a harmless wrong.
Just to be clear, does the "emerge --skipfirst --resume" require any other options at all or the @world etc...or does that command as-is just resume based on the current resume list?

Thanks!
Tom
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
figueroa wrote:
Just to be clear, does the "emerge --skipfirst --resume" require any other options at all or the @world etc...or does that command as-is just resume based on the current resume list?

Thanks!
Tom

No, just "emerge --skipfirst --resume" and adding anything else may muck it up.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figueroa wrote:
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
figueroa wrote:
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Tom
Good thing I was prepared for this. I had the compile of MythTV fail because it needed a patch for binutils >= 2.41. I was able to add a patch to my existing user patches,

So in this case I just used "emerge --resume" without any skipfirst. What confuses me however is that, while the number of packages it resumed did exactly match the number I had remaining including mythtv, it doesn't appear it's in the same order that it was, because mythtv wasn't first. I'm still waiting for it to get to that.

Is there some command to show the current list of packages that emerge is using in order?? Thanks.

EDIT: So out of the 32 remaining packages to resume, mythtv came up 5th. I'd still be curious as to how to access the package list of the current emerge. There have been other times I wanted to determine that. Thanks!

Tom
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emerge does not blindly follow the order of the packages remaining, it doesn't know if you did something in the mean time so it must calculate the dependency graph of the remaining packages to make sure nothing breaks and this group now has a different graph which may result in different order.

Best Regards,
Georgi
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Emerge does not blindly follow the order of the packages remaining, it doesn't know if you did something in the mean time so it must calculate the dependency graph of the remaining packages to make sure nothing breaks and this group now has a different graph which may result in different order.

Best Regards,
Georgi
I see. I'd have to assume however, that if I were to have used --skipfirst it would have properly skipped the package that failed and NOT the one that ended up first in that new order(?).

Thanks!
Tom
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi
I see. I'd have to assume however, that if I were to have used --skipfirst it would have properly skipped the package that failed and NOT the one that ended up first in that new order(?).

Thanks!
Tom

Yes it does. Portage is very smart.
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I upgraded today and it went flawlessly. Took under 6h on my i5-7400 (4 cores at 3.0GHz), so less than a day's work :D

This was the command I used:

Code:

emerge --ask --emptytree --exclude "sys-devel/gcc sys-devel/binutils sys-libs/glibc dev-build/libtool linux-firmware intel-microcode gentoo-sources linux-headers baselayout" @world

790 packages rebuilt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: