Epic Games Launcher
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Epic Games Launcher Reply with quote

I had a wineprefix dedicated to Epic Games Launcher, and it worked perfectly, I could use the epic client to download and play games (some require the client to run in background cause of DRM).
Then, I wanted to try Elder Scrolls Online (ESO), which I had for free some time ago in epic. So using the epic client, I downloaded the ESO installer and launched it. But, that installer crashed after trying to install directX redistribuable, and also crashed the epic client. So I just restarted the epic client but it didn't work. I could see an "invisible" rectangle trying to display, but it just wouldn't, and ended up with the epic client crash window. I stubbornly tried a couple more times with the same results.
I thought it was no big deal, so I decided to create a fresh wineprefix, and used that to reinstall the epic client but in the end, same results as with the old epic wineprefix, the client fails to draw properly and just display the epic crash window. I tried adding native dll with winetricks, changing win version, etc.. etc... nothing worked.

Now for the fun part... During my many tries to make the epic client work again, I forgot to add WINEPREFIX=/path/to/new/epic/prefix, so wine used its default prefix (the one in $HOME/.wine)... and the epic client launched, and showed me its login window.
So I created another fresh wineprefix, and installed the same dll as in the default wine prefix (thanks to winetricks.log at the root of prefix), installed the epic client, and... it didn't work.

So I'm quite puzzled.. Why the *beep* the epic client launches correctly when using wine's default prefix, and refuses to do so when using a fresh clean wineprefix that includes the same winetricks additions ?

Edit : I'm using wine-proton-8.0.5c (latest stable in gentoo repo)
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My explanation was not really clear, so I made a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uh4YUCOayA

First part, I try launching EpicGames through the old wineprefix (that used to work perfectly), the client doesn't display. (you can see the winetricks log just contains corefonts - don't mind the vcrun2022, it was required by a game, not for the epic client)
Then, I try again, using wine's default prefix (in $HOME/.wine), client shows up. (the default prefix has dotnet40, and is using winxp, which I believe isn't supported anymore by modern Windows applications)

Part two, I create a fresh clean wineprefix, adding dotnet40 (as in my wine's default prefix) and corefonts, setting it to winxp, use the epic installer, and try to launch it --> crash.
Then, I try to launch the fresh install through the default prefix, and it works...

So, I really don't get why the epic client fails to launch despite using a fresh wineprefix that has the same winetricks stuff as the default prefix.

Ideas on what & why are welcome ^^
Clad in Sky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can glean some information from the Lutris install script.
https://lutris.net/games/install/5835/view

As far as I can see, it does not add anything but corefonts via winetricks.
Now it's time for the harvest
krumpf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old working epic wineprefix was created as said in the lutris script, with just corefonts added through winetricks. So I've obviously tried to create a new wineprefix with corefonts, the epic launcher manages to install, but impossible to start it (I've tried with 32b & 64b epic client .exe)
That's why I'm quite puzzled, how come something that used to work under the same conditions now doesn't ? Plus the fact it works with the default wineprefix just confuses me even more :?
I know I could use epic from there, but my /home partition is quite small while I got a 1TB partition dedicated to gaming stuff.
I could also just use the heroic launcher, but it feels like the easy solution, and I'd rather understand why a new prefix doesn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: