[Solved] Profile upgrade - didn't read ahead, rebuilt glibc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grubber33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: [Solved] Profile upgrade - didn't read ahead, rebuilt glibc Reply with quote

Hello, yes I'm a fool for not reading the full thing before proceeding with the steps but there you go. I have stopped at the point where I did what this said not to do:

Code:
emerge --ask --oneshot --getbinpkg sys-devel/gcc
   (IMPORTANT: If this command wants to rebuild glibc first, do *not* let it do
    that; instead, abort and try again with --nodeps added to the command line.)

and I haven't done anything else yet. How should I proceed? Thanks a lot for you time.

Last edited by grubber33 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
grubber33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions at all? System doesn't seem broken but I haven't dared to reboot yet and I'm not familiar enough with how glibc affects things to check for brokenness.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you read the second line in brackets?

Just use the binary package and move on.

Also this thread might be relevant: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1168007.html

Best Regards,
Georgi
grubber33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:

Also this thread might be relevant: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1168007.html

Best Regards,
Georgi

Hello, my original post literally says that I did not read the second line and proceeded with building glibc before gcc, so no, I didn't. Also that topic isn't relevant to my post because both glibc and gcc compiled successfully. Thanks.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubber33 wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

Hello, my original post literally says that I did not read the second line and proceeded with building glibc before gcc, so no, I didn't. Also that topic isn't relevant to my post because both glibc and gcc compiled successfully. Thanks.

I understood you very well. What I presumed to be true seems to be confirmed by you saying you proceeded with building meaning you didn't use the binary package. Just use the binary packages for gcc and glibc and you should be fine. Also the thread I referenced is about the same thing, which according to sam_ should be fixed already. So what I suspect but can't be sure is you synced at a point after it was fixed. Otherwise you should have suffered the same breakage.

p.s. I too installed glibc before gcc but those were the binary packages so this should not matter.
p.s.2 the message stated that it should not be built before gcc, there's no building with the binary packages. Maybe the news item should have been more explicit.

Best Regards,
Georgi
grubber33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
grubber33 wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

I understood you very well. What I presumed to be true seems to be confirmed by you saying you proceeded with building meaning you didn't use the binary package. Just use the binary packages for gcc and glibc and you should be fine. Also the thread I referenced is about the same thing, which according to sam_ should be fixed already. So what I suspect but can't be sure is you synced at a point after it was fixed. Otherwise you should have suffered the same breakage.

p.s. I too installed glibc before gcc but those were the binary packages so this should not matter.
p.s.2 the message stated that it should not be built before gcc, there's no building with the binary packages. Maybe the news item should have been more explicit.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Understood, thanks again.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, my suggestion is to use the binary packages. This would be safe. You will later reemerge the whole world either way. If you do not use binary packages for that, gcc and glibc will be rebuilt too.

Best Regards,
Georgi
grubber33
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Just to clarify, my suggestion is to use the binary packages. This would be safe. You will later reemerge the whole world either way. If you do not use binary packages for that, gcc and glibc will be rebuilt too.

Best Regards,
Georgi

What I did because I still had an environment that I could compile in, was set my profile back to the 17.1 version and rebuilt the 3 packages that I had already built under the new profile, then started the process from the beginning. Looks like everything is going well so far with emerging world.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: