Yet another borked grub discussion.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Yet another borked grub discussion. Reply with quote

All,

It seems as though I got hit with an issue on a couple of machines similar to what is mentioned in this other discussions 1168002, 1167954, and 8818652. One machine is here at the house and the other is at the office. I have others but I haven't rebooted them specifically because of this issue.

For the system at the house, I chrooted into the system and ran the follow command but I received the following error for my troubles.

Code:
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot

Code:
grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: no such file or directory.

I have also confirmed that the system here at the house has the appropriate files under /boot for grub v2.12 based on the gentoo news "grub upgrade" article.

One of the moderators in 8818652 mentioned to post errors on this issue here, so that is what I am doing. I have 5 other systems that will likely need this resolved, but I would prefer to fix them before I reboot them as well.

So what can I do to fix the borked system here at the house and what do I need to do to ensure this DOES NOT happen on the other systems I need to reboot. Until I get to the office to check that system, I am only speculating that its issue is similar, if not the same.

Thank you.

[Moderator edit: changed [topic] tag to [post] tag; the given value is invalid as a topic (until many many more topics are posted), but is valid as a post today, so this seems to be what the poster intended. -Hu]
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I accidently rebooted the system and it started up as normal, seemingly without issue...I am not sure if the issue is solved with it or not. So if I rerun the grub install command on my systems, that should prevent this issue on my other systems?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: