Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Desktop freezes, how can I check what's the issue?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwosky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Desktop freezes, how can I check what's the issue? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a somehow recurring issue over these past days, as sometimes when I start my desktop session, the PC completelly freezes. I can see the image, but mouse nor keyboard seem to respond. I've tried switching to the other consoles without luck, I just need to push the reset button on the PC Case in order to reset the PC and start again.

I haven't been able to indentify the cause of the issue, since it doesn't happen all the time. The only common factor I've seen is that it happens between 1 and 2 minutes after I login to the desktop.

I'm using syslog-ng, but I believe the configuration its the default. Is there any way of trying to check what could be the issue? Maybe some more logging or anything that could help identify what could be the issue of these freezes.
Code:
@version: 4.6
#
# Syslog-ng default configuration file for Gentoo Linux

# https://bugs.gentoo.org/426814
@include "scl.conf"

options {
        threaded(yes);
        chain_hostnames(no);

# The default action of syslog-ng is to log a STATS line
        # to the file every 10 minutes.  That's pretty ugly after a while.
        # Change it to every 12 hours so you get a nice daily update of
        # how many messages syslog-ng missed (0).
        stats(freq(43200));
        # The default action of syslog-ng is to log a MARK line
        # to the file every 20 minutes.  That's seems high for most
        # people so turn it down to once an hour.  Set it to zero
        # if you don't want the functionality at all.
        mark_freq(3600);
};

source src { system(); internal(); };

destination messages { file("/var/log/messages"); };

# By default messages are logged to tty12...
destination console_all { file("/dev/tty12"); };
# ...if you intend to use /dev/console for programs like xconsole
# you can comment out the destination line above that references /dev/tty12
# and uncomment the line below.
#destination console_all { file("/dev/console"); };

log { source(src); destination(messages); };
log { source(src); destination(console_all); };

Emerge info:
Code:
# emerge --info
Portage 3.0.61 (python 3.11.8-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma, gcc-13, glibc-2.38-r10, 6.6.21-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.6.21-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_Ryzen_9_7900_12-Core_Processor-with-glibc2.38
KiB Mem:    64976052 total,  60966304 free
KiB Swap:    4194300 total,   4194300 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 15:00:00 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 62a64f557c348009be94d2a682f0f31f7d92df5e
Timestamp of repository brother-overlay: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 00:48:34 +0000
Head commit of repository brother-overlay: 6ea9527f4660df51670c8c2d630999cf67a908b3

Timestamp of repository dwosky: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 04:48:23 +0000
Head commit of repository dwosky: 6be9c50ce677f834e3c934d3a6ae9e9e753032e6

Timestamp of repository guru: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 06:03:14 +0000
Head commit of repository guru: ba8ac6916956f8332ec441196d6b3ac67b15ba9d

Timestamp of repository steam-overlay: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 21:03:58 +0000
Head commit of repository steam-overlay: e01d021389d2d9eb6ac88d559c83a8f5a7b54982

sh bash 5.1_p16-r6
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.41 p5) 2.41.0
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.7::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.1_p16-r6::gentoo
dev-build/autoconf:        2.13-r8::gentoo, 2.71-r6::gentoo
dev-build/automake:        1.16.5-r2::gentoo
dev-build/cmake:           3.27.9::gentoo
dev-build/libtool:         2.4.7-r2::gentoo
dev-build/make:            4.4.1-r1::gentoo
dev-build/meson:           1.3.1-r1::gentoo
dev-java/java-config:      2.3.3-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.38.2-r2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.11.8_p1::gentoo, 3.12.2_p1::gentoo
dev-lang/rust:             1.74.1::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.14-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:           0.53::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.38::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.41-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           17.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             13.2.1_p20240210::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/lld:             17.0.6::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            17.0.6::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.6::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.38-r10::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    volatile: False
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: yes
    sync-rsync-verify-jobs: 1
    sync-rsync-verify-max-age: 24
    sync-rsync-extra-opts:

brother-overlay
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/brother-overlay.git
    masters: gentoo

dwosky
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/dwosky.git

guru
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/guru.git

steam-overlay
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/steam-overlay.git

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE brother-eula ValveSteamLicense"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs binpkg-multi-instance buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox pkgdir-index-trusted preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.mirror.root.lu/     http://tux.rainside.sk/gentoo/     ftp://tux.rainside.sk/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa amd64 branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli crypt cups dbus declarative dri dts dvd dvdr elogind encode exif flac fortran gdbm gif gpm gtk gui iconv icu jpeg kde kwallet lcms libnotify libtirpc mad mng mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses networkmanager nls ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf pipewire plasma png policykit ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 readline screencast sdl seccomp semantic-desktop sound spell split-usr ssl startup-notification svg test-rust threads tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis vulkan wayland widgets wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xft xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gcc_12" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_anon authn_dbm authn_file authz_dbm authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 avx512f avx512dq avx512cd avx512bw avx512vl avx512vbmi f16c fma3 mmx mmxext pclmul popcnt rdrand sha sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 ntrip navcom oceanserver oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 tsip tripmate tnt ublox" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" L10N="en es" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb text" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-1" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres15" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_11" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_11" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby31" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeon radeonsi" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tarpit sysrq proto logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, LINGUAS, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, MAKEOPTS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PYTHONPATH, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plz look at dmesg and xorg logs for clues.
Also consider enabling REISUB.
And plz have linux-firmware installed.
See
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMD_microcode
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Linux_firmware
Later you might wish to check your kernel config also.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just need to push the reset button on the PC Case in order to reset the PC and start again.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Del to see if that will reboot the PC. If it does, your syslog output
Code:
/var/log/messages

should contain some messages near the end that may help.

If it doesn't work, the trouble with the reset button is that syslog won't get messages that are in buffers, so you probably will miss just the information you want!
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Desktop freezes, how can I check what's the issue? Reply with quote

Dwosky wrote:
I have a somehow recurring issue over these past days, as sometimes when I start my desktop session, the PC completelly freezes. I can see the image, but mouse nor keyboard seem to respond. I've tried switching to the other consoles without luck, I just need to push the reset button on the PC Case in order to reset the PC and start again.

That looks like a kernel panic. If so, you have a stack trace on the VT1 console, but alas it's too late to switch.

So, you boot to a console and start the graphical session manually ? And the freeze occurs only after you start the graphical session ? You can work at the console as long as you want ?
If so, take a look at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps . You set memory aside at boot time, in which you will preload a recovery kernel. If your running kernel panics, the recovery kernel will warm-boot and you will have a file /proc/vmcore that you can save for later analysis.

The analysis is done with the dev-util/crash utility. It's easy to extract the panic message and stack trace. Sometimes that's all you need. It's more work to dive in and debug the crash.

If you need more help I'll dig up my notes (on this forum) and see if I can make sense of them after all this time.
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't need to be kernel panic from the description provided - mostly because description isn't very verbose.
"Desktops" are quite nasty as they take control of the keyboard and if they crash but don't return to shell you won't be able to switch to different session/TTY/VT.

Good practice is to have SSHD service running - then you can try to login to your system from outside and if successful switch to other session and/or kill the session that crashed.

With systemd it is done through loginctl. Command help is self explanatory. For other init systems I have no idea how to do anything.

One thing to note - if you play audio and the audio continues to play it is a good sign system is recoverable.
If that audio is supposed to come from crashed desktop then it not playing is not a good indicator system crashed. It is depending on how it sounds like - very short looping audio is most likely kernel panic/crash.

As for troubleshooting - since hardware is also subject to failures it is always recommended to rule hardware issues before tinkering with the system trying to repair it. For that best to have secondary configured system. Of course it can be Windows.
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e8root wrote:
For other init systems I have no idea how to do anything.

On such systems where the `sys-auth/elogind` package is installed and in use, `loginctl` is available.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: