Many ACPI BIOS message appear in syslog
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokyrun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Many ACPI BIOS message appear in syslog Reply with quote

Hello All,
In my syslog file I have many of these messages below :

Code:
Mar 17 11:54:17 himalaya kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY.DEVT.PEGS], AE_NOT_FOUND (20230628/psargs-330)
Mar 17 11:54:17 himalaya kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC.HKEY.DEVT due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20230628/psparse-529)
Mar 17 11:54:17 himalaya kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC._Q4F due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20230628/psparse-529)

Sometimes these messages appear every second, I know that's doesn't mean a malfunction of system, I tried seveal options : libata.noacpi=1, acpi_enforce_resources=lax and acpi_enforce_resources=no but unsucessfully.

Do you know if there is a way to disable these messages.

I have the lastest version of BIOS/

Any help will be appreciate.

Thank you for your help.

Willy
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure Willy you can read about on man pages of acpid explains better how to work it.
(I understand acpid is configurable set of scripts, you can also try to make a "rule" for dropping some acpi calls or trigger other and run linked script command according to fit your need.)

You don't really strip out log file entry, by hand. Is useless for you keeping system logs "clean", simply adjust it by good logging facility setup like "logrotate" it can automate task with pattern you want to configure. (keep history, compress, delete logs)

For make you pleasure with it I advice to follow Gentoo Wiki at:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Logging
and related man pages if you go on sysklogd defaults is like man logrotate and man syslogd for example.

Regards
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get similar lines in my dmesg, but only about 3 times during boot, and none thereafter. Not sure what that means!

My interpretation is that there's something in the ACPI configuration files that the linux parser can't handle correctly, rather than anything that altering the startup paramers such as acpi_enforce_resources would affect. It's considered that the BIOS vendors consider their code to be "fine" if it works on Windows, but most never bother checking what happens on Linux.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely bug or something not exactly following the specification in the firmware. Nothing to worry about.

Best Regards,
Georgi
smokyrun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my friends,
Thank you so much for your replies and your help, yes I have to configure logrotate on my system to have logfile more convenient.
I fully agree with you Goverp, vendor of bios develop their products to work fine with Windows.
Thank you so much Georgi for you response.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Willy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: