I hate KDE Plasma
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

It's too close to Windows - doesn't have multiple desktops, too many apps that are default and the worst is Dolphin no longer shows hidden files or the full pathname when opening directories. Just like Windows. The worst is that as I'm getting older, my eyes aren't as good, so what does the LiveDVD defualt but the full 2k resolution of my monitor and to top it all off, they're using "Small Print" Fonts that I can't even see at 2k. Under Windows, I'm lucky I can at least setup full hd (1920x1080) and configure the fonts to be larger so I can use the system. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to use a computer without going to a huge monitor and running it at 1080 so I can at least read what's on screen

Since Plasma doesn't offer me the multiple desktops I like, I'll be sticking with Fluxbox since it works and the menu is easy to customize. Thankfully, I don't need a lot of apps - desktop user now so LibreOffice, VLC, claws-mail, firefox, Keepassxc and I still need to find a decent replacement for Foobar2000 that works great, and Notepad++ (tabbed notepad).

Yes I've been looking at the package list to see what's out there for the Music Playback but haven't found anything solid yet to replace notepad++, which I love to pieces.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
It's too close to Windows - doesn't have multiple desktops

It actually even has two concepts of that, virtual desktops as well as activities.

FastTurtle wrote:
too many apps that are default

Are you seriously saying that as a Gentoo user? What applications are "default"? *You* set the defaults. kde-plasma/plasma-meta doesn't even install a single application.

FastTurtle wrote:
and the worst is Dolphin no longer shows hidden files

Never did by default, but it's just one Ctrl + H away (or just enable it from the old school menu bar, whatever you prefer).

FastTurtle wrote:
or the full pathname when opening directories.

Press F6 (or View -> Location Bar -> Editable Location)

FastTurtle wrote:
The worst is that as I'm getting older, my eyes aren't as good, so what does the LiveDVD defualt but the full 2k resolution of my monitor and to top it all off, they're using "Small Print" Fonts that I can't even see at 2k.

Systemsettings -> Display & Monitor -> *Scale*

Once you've stopped hating a piece of software for reasons that anyone who has run KDE Plasma for five minutes can instantly refute, feel free to come back with any further questions you have.
NichtDerHans
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/10 I've seen better flamewar starts.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be said, if you hate something, why use it? It's not like there wasn't any choice, and to coin a phrase, Gentoo is about choice.
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

Once you've stopped hating a piece of software for reasons that anyone who has run KDE Plasma for five minutes can instantly refute

Oh yeah I complete agree with you, my Plasma setup is awesome man! 8)
https://i.postimg.cc/8kMZGth5/2024-03-08-21-01.png << My screenshot!
@FastTurtle, if you don't are a troll, another thing is basic editor like kwrite is so good but if you want to go pro, kate is another good choice!

Cheers
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden files - right-click Dolphin toolbar, configure toolbars, add "Show Hidden Files", add a pretty icon, & now you can toggle hidden files on/off as you like.

Dolphin Full pathname -> Configure Dolphin, Startup, Show Full Path & Make Location Bar Editable

"doesn't have multiple desktops" - what?? In what sense don't Virtual desktops (System Settings, Workspace Behaviour, Virtual Desktops, Add) & Activities (System Settings, Workspace Behaviour, Activities, Create New) cover that.

"Too close to Windows" - sigh. Can't help you there.

"too many apps that are default" - don't install the meta packages then, create a (portage) set and add the packages you actually want/need.

Resolution - what @asturm said, which is exactly what I did to a 12" laptop with a 1080p display which my mid-sixties eyes could not handle. (I also had to fiddle with the frame-buffer font to be able to read the bootup console)
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*suddenly a moderator appears*
This topic asks for intervention.
Please carry on. Just keep it civil. Thanks.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off is I've been stuck using Windows for the last decade due to work plus I'll be 60yrs old next year. Yep, I'm an old timer (Get off my Lawn!!) and if you look at my profile, I started using Gentoo in late 2002 and used it for over a decade before work forced Windows on me.

As to the "I Hate Plasma" comment, the LiveDVD only has that and boots into KDE by Default.

Now the reason I hate Plasma is the KDE devs announced Recently that Plasma 6 restores one of the KDE 3 features - that of multiple desktops. These are not Virtual Desktops/Workspaces but actual desktops. Not sure if it's important but one thing is the Workspaces/Virtual Desktops are not intuitive on the LiveDVD if even available.

Related to the LiveDVD was I/O errors when attemtping to do some of the simplest things such as extract the stage3 file to the new installation. Was not and still not sure if the issue is the LiveDVD has a bug of the flash drive is going bad but total show stoppers as I couldn't even get the stage3 file extracted. What I'll have to do is see if the problem is the LiveDVD image I was using by switching to the Minimal Installer. Hopefully, I'll be able to get Gento installed this weekend using that method. Just a bit disapointed that there's no Firefox on it.

As stated, I hope to get Gentoo installed this weekend since I have time to fight with it. Generally, I've had good luck with the CLI installations and that goes all the way back to dealing with Stage1 installs in 2003. Yes it can be done and it wasn't that hard if you paid attention to what could/would cause problems and while doing the stage1 rebuild, I would use another console to download all of the packages. Big Speed up that I still use since disk space isn't an issue anymore. It also allows me to interupt a build and shut down if the weather warrants it - yes I do shut down during thunderstorms having lost a system and several appliances during one when lightning hit the power lines. Wasn't on the house line but in our neighborhood, so anything expensive connected at the time got fried.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:wink: I really don't know what is the point man.
You want to talk about your Gentoo feelings?
Or
You need to fix something on your installation by chroot in from live environment?

...cause you write some "bad for you" features of KDE live?

I not trust anyone want to run live DVD in 2024 for productive task, most users just me, starting terminal and maybe browse internet for installation purpose, chrooting,
what else you need? 8O
Best regards.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed Gentoo using Damn Small Linux Live USB back in the day. BTW Damn Small Linux was revived lately.
You really don't need to use any official Gentoo live medium to install Gentoo.

But yes. The LiveDVD KDE is somewhat bugged... or my hardware is faulty. Last time I used it I got notifications of network being disconnected and connected all the time, but in fact the connection was completely fine.
Also if you pass docache as a boot parameter it does cache something into ram, but not all so I cannot remove the USB stick. I believe this is known bug... and not KDE related.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: Windows supports several desktops, the file explorer can show hidden and system files and you can set the screen resolution.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
FastTurtle wrote:
and the worst is Dolphin no longer shows hidden files

Never did by default, but it's just one Ctrl + H away (or just enable it from the old school menu bar, whatever you prefer).

I have done this toggling the whole time with ALT + . (dot) ... because I didnt knew this other way ... :lol:
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed Gentoo from a separate drive with Debian on it, and it went great. Being able to have a web browser open with the manual and a video player for downtime goes a long way in making the install experience less painful :lol:

Quote:
a decent replacement for Foobar2000

I use Audacious with the qt interface, though I do still have Foobar set up through Wine for the odd times I need its file conversions or mass replaygain tagging.
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in hating on DE in distro which doesn't force any defaults on users. Except maybe Portage as package manager but Gentoo and Portage is pretty much the same thing.

What you probably need as someone with eye issues is high PPI monitor + 200% scale. Rather than shifting to large 1920x1080 screen you should get large 3840x2140 (ak If you said you hate Portage then it would be a different matter but then it would be the same as saying you hate Gentoo as Gentoo is just barebone Linux + Portage.a "4K") and use 200% scale. What you might also want is to setup font hinting. Personally I find unhinted fonts much better and I always unhint them as much as possible (going as far as to use GDI++/ezType/MacType on Windows to get FreeType2/Linux font rendering on Windows) but some people find unhinted font to be too "fuzzy" for comfort. I also disable subpixel font rendering as its more universal across different display types but this can make fonts a bit more fuzzy on default RGB subpixel monitors. Don't remember what are the Gentoo defaults in this matter but you might want to check eselect fontconfig settings.

Other thing you might consider is using zoom. Not sure what kind of zoom KDE offers. The one in Wayfire works great. It's Win + mouse scrool and it just works.

As for KDE Plasma... I installed it yesterday and imho its pretty buggy - as in it so much defaults to use case where there is one active X11 server on the system it ignores any rules of cooperation between X11 servers - it ignored existing server at :0.0 and assigned itself DISPLAY=:0.0. Who does that? There are some more minor annoyances and small bugs. Biggest issue for me is bazzilion of packages it installs. emerge -cv kde-plasma/plasma-meta && emerge --depclean was the correct solution to all my issues with KDE Plasma 5. Will check Plasma 6 once its stable and untill then nothing beats simple but very usable Xfce4;)
kgdrenefort
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
It's too close to Windows - doesn't have multiple desktops, too many apps that are default and the worst is Dolphin no longer shows hidden files or the full pathname when opening directories. Just like Windows. The worst is that as I'm getting older, my eyes aren't as good, so what does the LiveDVD defualt but the full 2k resolution of my monitor and to top it all off, they're using "Small Print" Fonts that I can't even see at 2k. Under Windows, I'm lucky I can at least setup full hd (1920x1080) and configure the fonts to be larger so I can use the system. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to use a computer without going to a huge monitor and running it at 1080 so I can at least read what's on screen

Since Plasma doesn't offer me the multiple desktops I like, I'll be sticking with Fluxbox since it works and the menu is easy to customize. Thankfully, I don't need a lot of apps - desktop user now so LibreOffice, VLC, claws-mail, firefox, Keepassxc and I still need to find a decent replacement for Foobar2000 that works great, and Notepad++ (tabbed notepad).

Yes I've been looking at the package list to see what's out there for the Music Playback but haven't found anything solid yet to replace notepad++, which I love to pieces.

Ok.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Press F6 (or View -> Location Bar -> Editable Location)
My only gripe (literally only) is this: It has a kind of "auto refresh", so if I start typing a new location (especially fish:// ones I have to think about) it will "refresh" it back to the current location if I don't finish and hit enter in time.
asturm wrote:
It actually even has two concepts of that, virtual desktops as well as activities.
The power settings per activity are so cool, doing an overnight emerge, drop it in "Updating" and voila - no sleep mode.
Same for adding rules for certain programs to be in certain activities - I have a lot of programs running to "undo" some of my hearing loss, hiding those away in their own activity is much tidier.

FastTurtle wrote:
It's too close to Windows
This is a good thing: For those of us who have to use windows professionally, being able to make that muscle memory for common tasks land on similar/same functions within KDE makes me hate windows less when I have to use it.
FastTurtle wrote:
haven't found anything solid yet to replace notepad++
Kwrite is pretty close to n++, but for total emulation use kate with some of the options turned off. That said some of those options are so useful I ended up replacing n++ with kate on doze machines I use.

e8root wrote:
I installed it yesterday and imho its pretty buggy
I don't get this, are you running ~arch? When I'm done bending my OS to *my* will, KDE "just werks" for me and I really CBA fondling my DE once the backend is working. I think I've had like 2 bugs in the last 5 years, and one was patched in the tree before I'd finished patching it myself. I've played with other WM's on my media machine and my defaults are now DWM for "controlled environments" or KDE.

pietinger wrote:
because I didnt knew this other way ... :lol:
Oh, there are shortcuts; I put the little eye icon in the main toolbar, because keyboard shortcuts are for people with properly functioning memory.
pizza-rat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:
I don't get this, are you running ~arch? When I'm done bending my OS to *my* will, KDE "just werks" for me and I really CBA fondling my DE once the backend is working. I think I've had like 2 bugs in the last 5 years, and one was patched in the tree before I'd finished patching it myself. I've played with other WM's on my media machine and my defaults are now DWM for "controlled environments" or KDE.

I wish I could say the same. Every time I've tried KDE, whether on Debian, Arch or Gentoo (stable or ~amd64), there's always been some kind of bugginess or unresponsiveness. I'd like to like KDE, but I can't.
paddlaren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizza-rat wrote:
I wish I could say the same. Every time I've tried KDE, whether on Debian, Arch or Gentoo (stable or ~amd64), there's always been some kind of bugginess or unresponsiveness. I'd like to like KDE, but I can't.

I am the other way around. Every so often I get sick of the gentoo upgrade procedure and KDE and try to find something else but a few weeks later I settles down with my gentoo with plasma and it feels like home every time.

FastTurtle wrote:
Now the reason I hate Plasma is the KDE devs announced Recently that Plasma 6 restores one of the KDE 3 features - that of multiple desktops. These are not Virtual Desktops/Workspaces but actual desktops. Not sure if it's important but one thing is the Workspaces/Virtual Desktops are not intuitive on the LiveDVD if even available.

This thing about desktops... I am about to install Plasma 6 (when I found this thread) so I am not sure yet but it has always (at least since kde3) been possible to login using several seats. Just select "Switch user". have difficult to understand what more between seats, virtual desktops and activities there are but I guess I will soon find out.

Activities is the best. I am a consultant working from home and volunteer a lot. I have 8 activities to get my stuff organized. When I leave work I actually just switch activity to one of the personal or for spare time activites. Same with software development. Activities helps me focus while virtual desktops (I have 6 virtual desktops -> 7*6 desktops to use) helps me stay organized within a focus context.

And for editors I even have Kate on windows-K as I use it for everything from notes to coding (along with QtCreator). Kate is excellent for C# coding btw. I needed kate to find quotes writing this answer. It is always present.

Now it's time to try out Plasma 6.....
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:

Sure sure BUT is the issue with Kwin ignoring DISPLAY setting of already running X11 servers (like xorg-server) and/or not advertising it runs X11 session causing other X11 servers to fail to start happen for you right NOW?
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

e8root wrote:
Sure sure BUT is the issue with Kwin ignoring DISPLAY setting of already running X11 servers (like xorg-server) and/or not advertising it runs X11 session causing other X11 servers to fail to start happen for you right NOW?

I assume you mean 'happening', but No. I started using linux OS's when the ability to craft an XFree86Config file and write iptables rules was considered "bread and butter", as such I don't want my DE messing with my underlying X config, thus kscreen is disabled by default.
You should describe your 'symptoms' clearly in a fresh thread.
Babiz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

e8root wrote:
BUT is the issue with Kwin ignoring DISPLAY setting

I found this issue on my system. adn I try all possible X11 configurations with no luck.
DISPLAY and SCREEN section in Kwin is totally ignored. (I think Kscreen 2 override all X11 configs files)

After many trials and errors I digging deep into all possible user setting allowable by Kwin and found some tweak to pass "parameters" on X11 session started by SDDM.

If you add on your /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf this:
Code:
[X11]
ServerArguments= {some foo xrandr acceptable formats setting}

Then magically Kwin accept your changes. This is very strange and undocumented thing at least for beginners users. :roll:

For my need I set -dpi value need to right scale factor adjustment on high dpi screen and work fine.
I end up to only way to interact to X11 server from Kwin is trough xrandr arguments passed on session startup, maybe I will discuss this for add much detailed Gentoo Wiki Plasma setup later with any others folks, but need to open new specific topic soon.

Regards
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: I hate KDE Plasma Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:
FastTurtle wrote:
haven't found anything solid yet to replace notepad++
Kwrite is pretty close to n++, but for total emulation use kate with some of the options turned off. That said some of those options are so useful I ended up replacing n++ with kate on doze machines I use.

Don't know. I find np++ better at folding xml and so far I haven't found how to vertically select in Kate. Otherwise it is fine.
e8root
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue observed was DISPLAY environment variable under plasma wayland session was the same as already used by X11 server. This caused programs randomly open in the other environment. When running plasma_wayland first I would not be able to start X11 server because it could not assign itself DISPLAY :0. I didn't observe such issues with Wayfire, Sway, Gamescope or other random Wayland compositors like Cage, Cakebreak, and they would nicely cooperate with X11 and each-other.

Sure, I should report a bug somewhere but in order to do that I would first need to investigate this further to know if its only issue that happens on my configuration, what versions are affected, if this only happens in Gentoo and maybe if it has something something to do with my profile/USE flags/used compiler/etc. Making bug reports is not to be taken lightly!

Anyways, when I now run emerge -a kde-plasma/plasma-meta and count how many packaged emerge wants to install to have KDE Plasma 5.27.11 installed it comes at 196 new packages!. Sorry but KDE at almost 200 packages doesn't even have wobbly windows.

In comparison Wayfire at merely few packages works with no issues cooperating with X11, doesn't at all look bloated, have wobbly windows and overall better animations. When changing DPI scale to 2.0 or whatever else value I get whole desktop and all applications instantly re-scaled including applications supporting scaling to display proper high resolution fonts and graphics. Wayfire also has very good all-desktop zoom and even per-application/window zoom. Also - and perhaps most interesting feature so far - Wayfire has Sway-like window tiling but one where I can freely pop-out any window so I am not stuck with tiles.

KDE as far as I know doesn't any worthwhile tiling capabilities even in Plasma6 and with all that I just don't care for it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: