OpenRC install-kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: OpenRC install-kernel? Reply with quote

I do have the -systemd -systemd-boot dracut and grub flags set but not sure from the handbook how the command is structered as the only example the give is for systemd

What I don't want to do is use Genkernel again to create the kernel config so any help is appreciated.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: OpenRC install-kernel? Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:

What I don't want to do is use Genkernel again to create the kernel config so any help is appreciated.

You don't need to use genkernel to create the config. Give us more context, what it is exactly you're trying to do, what you've done so far and maybe explain a bit of what your understanding and expectations are.

Best Regards,
Georgi
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenRC install-kernel? Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
I do have the -systemd -systemd-boot dracut and grub flags set but not sure from the handbook how the command is structered as the only example the give is for systemd

The installkernel command structure is the same for both +systemd and -systemd, the only difference is that with +systemd /sbin/installkernel delegates the kernel installation to /usr/bin/kernel-install (from systemd).
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew.

logrusx: As stated and that Andrew clarified, I wasn't finding an example of the installkernel command for openrc.

Used Gentoo over a decade ago and they had multiple examples if there were two different ways of doing things.

Looking at what Andrew wrote, it appears that many of the docs need to be cleaned up. There's no reason to list systemd methods for the command unless you need to configure something. Same for the openrc format, so a bit more clarification such as

Configuration Needed for systemd: xxx-xxx-xxx or openrc: ccc-ccc-ccc in code boxes would help reduce confusion.

Of course, having not followed how Gentoo does things over that decade is like making the jump from Win3 to Win11. Simiar enough to use but confusing as heck when trying to figure things out and there is no "Gentoo for Dummies" to help.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastTurtle wrote:
logrusx: As stated and that Andrew clarified, I wasn't finding an example of the installkernel command for openrc

installkernel is designed to be called by other tools, like the kernel's make install looks for it. You should not be calling it yourself.
If you want it very close to what debianutils provided for years, turn off all the USE flags.
If you want it to call dracut as part of make install, enable the dracut USE.
If you want it to call grub-mkconfig as part of make install, enable the grub USE.

There is no "config" for installkernel itself. It simply installs hook scripts via USE and always calls them.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what it's supposed to do - have to check it.

Not sure if I'm an idiot or just blind but it looks to me as though Links is the cause of many of my documentation issues. What appears to be happening is that any code box is not displaying all of the text and when I click on the code box in firefox, it highlights the entire page so something is wrong with either the page or links that's causing it to not display things. This applies to any of the code boxes and if that's the case, then I suspect it's a closing tag that was forgoten. Nothing I can do about it at this time.

One thing I'm thinking is the dist-kernel flag though I'm looking at using the binary kernel. Might solve the issues I'm having by simply going with the hybrid-solution in order to get it up and running.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: