system not booting because of separate /usr [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: system not booting because of separate /usr [solved] Reply with quote

Greetings,

for the last few weeks, i'm finding myself fixing my broken Gentoo because my /usr is on separate partition and I'm using a custom minimal initramfs that checks the fss but doesn't boot them and let the normal boot flow do that.
now I got to a situation where there are multiple libs that cannot be disabled and this forces me to mount /usr in the initramfs to get a working system back and later try to fix it but it seems that I cannot do that.
when I do that, I get this error:
Code:
rc boot logging started at Tue Mar  5 20:13:43 2024

* Loading module jc42 ...
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hwmon.ko
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/base/regmap/regmap-i2c.ko
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/hwmon/jc42.ko
 [ ok ]
 * Loading module nct6775 ...
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hwmon-vid.ko
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/hwmon/nct6775-core.ko
insmod /lib/modules/6.7.6-gentoo/kernel/drivers/hwmon/nct6775.ko
 [ ok ]
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [Local Time] ...
 [ ok ]
 * Mounting misc binary format filesystem ...
 [ ok ]
 * Loading custom binary format handlers ...
 [ ok ]
 * Starting the Logical Volume Manager ...
File descriptor 4 (/dev/console (deleted)) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID 2944: /bin/sh
File descriptor 4 (/dev/console (deleted)) leaked on lvm invocation. Parent PID 2944: /bin/sh
 [ ok ]
 * Checking local filesystems  ...
fsck.fat 4.2 (2021-01-31)
open: No such file or directory
 * Filesystems couldn't be fixed
 [ !! ]
 * rc: Aborting!
 * fsck: caught SIGTERM, aborting

rc boot logging stopped at Tue Mar  5 18:13:45 2024

rc default logging started at Tue Mar  5 18:13:45 2024

* Setting hostname to NCC-5001D from /etc/conf.d/hostname ...
 [ ok ]
 * Checking local filesystems  ...
fsck.fat 4.2 (2021-01-31)
open: No such file or directory
 * Filesystems couldn't be fixed
 [ !! ]
 * rc: Aborting!
 * fsck: caught SIGTERM, aborting

how can I get my system to boot again?

Last edited by DaggyStyle on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like an entry in fstab, which is being referred to by fsck.fat, is either wrong or no longer available.

In a rescue environment, either fix the fstab or touch the file "fastboot" on the root of the main file system to bypass fsck.
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
This looks like an entry in fstab, which is being referred to by fsck.fat, is either wrong or no longer available.

In a rescue environment, either fix the fstab or touch the file "fastboot" on the root of the main file system to bypass fsck.

the only fat entry in fstab is the /boot partition which holds the kernel, initramfs and the entire grub stuff
so now I need to mount /boot in the initramfs to make a mod there so the boot flow will be satisfied?
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle wrote:
grknight wrote:

the only fat entry in fstab is the /boot partition which holds the kernel, initramfs and the entire grub stuff
so now I need to mount /boot in the initramfs to make a mod there so the boot flow will be satisfied?

I've never mentioned anything about adding a new mount.
If /boot is stopping the initial mount due to fsck, then setting pass of 0 on that line in fstab will not stop it from keeping the system from starting.
See also fsck_abort_on_errors setting in /etc/conf.d/fsck as another alterative (with a "NO" setting)
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
DaggyStyle wrote:
grknight wrote:

I've never mentioned anything about adding a new mount.
If /boot is stopping the initial mount due to fsck, then setting pass of 0 on that line in fstab will not stop it from keeping the system from starting.
See also fsck_abort_on_errors setting in /etc/conf.d/fsck as another alterative (with a "NO" setting)

I didn't said anything in regards to adding new mount, I've referred to mount /boot within the initramfs and touch a file.
I've wondered if this is the new official flow.

from what I see, the issue is with the device going missing between the initramfs and the actual boot, I wonder how this can be?
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

issue is solved, the problem root cause was due to misconfig.
my /boot partition is on a usb drive, I had usb-storage defined as module and loading + detecting the partition took longer than the time it took the boot flow to test the parition.
defining usb-storage as builtin solved the issue
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: