Your paste can be seen here: http://dpaste.com/CLDM7JLGQ
# wgetpaste -c 'ls -lah /boot'
Your paste can be seen here: http://dpaste.com/4356RW57L

Thank you!
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like /boot is not mounted. Moreover, it's commented in fstab. I suspect your kernel is loaded from withing the boot partition, but before continuing, let's confirm that.

Mount /dev/md1 somewhere (perhaps /mnt/tmp or something liek that) and give me a list of files in it.

Also this looks like raid/lvm/md - things I'm not familiar with and I ask some of the more experienced users to join in helping resolve that.

Perhaps just removing the comment for the /boot line in fstab, mounting it and installing the new kernel and updating the grub config should work. I hope the separate boot partition is not because of some kind of disk encryption what not. I don't understand those.

Judging by the launch date of the CPU, this should still be a MBR/BIOS boot and that's why /boot is formatted with ext2 and is not an efi system partition. Someone confirm that please.

Best Regards,
Georgi
afdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi logrusx,

it's correct, the boot partition is not mounted anymore, because I have moved the bootloader into the /boot directory (I was out of space in the boot partition).
I have commented the entry in the fstab file.

The disks are in Software Raid if I have understood correctly, the same configuration as in the staging server by luck.
I have found that I need only a flag while compiling the kernel (I have added MDADM="yes" in /etc/genkernel.conf) and a kernel command option in the bootloader entry "domdadm".
It worked in this way in the staging server without problems.

Maybe I was missing something while moving the boot partition... If the partition gets mounted, then I have only 2 kernels and a different grub configuration.
I was following this answer on askubuntu.com, because it doesn't involve anything Ubuntu-specific.

I was trying to reinstall grub into /dev/md3, but I am getting the following error:
Code:

# grub-install /dev/md3
Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

I think genkernel package should have done already everything (I have checked and I find more images in the boot directory after running it), so I don't understand...
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with memory that goes longer back than mine should comment here. Back when I used BIOS/MBR boot I only used dual boot with Windows and don't even remember what had to be done to make a Linux volume bootable.

Do not follow outside resources to learn something new, only when you know enough to distinguish what's relevant and what would work.

I think you should follow 2.2 or 2.3 from GRUB page but I can't vouch for anything.

afdev wrote:

I think genkernel package should have done already everything (I have checked and I find more images in the boot directory after running it), so I don't understand...

What happens here is /boot stores the kernels on the root partition when the boot partition is not mounted and grub and the relevant kernels are on the boot partition, that's why nothing gets updated. Also genkernel doesn't do everything as it obviously doesn't know what you want and what you've done. I personally don't use genkernel because it's somewhat unpredictable to me. Also, according to a dev's words, genkernel isn't really maintained:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/913659

p.s. This thread is rather long and it's not appealing for anyone. You'll get more helpers engaged with a new thread and I hope this will bring on someone who remembers or even better - uses this boot mechanism.

Best Regards,
Georgi
afdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi logrusx,

thank you for the reply.
Yes, I know that the thread is long at this point and the main issue is solved now. I have continued here because it was part of the upgrade process to update the kernel too, but for this specific issue I could also open a new topic.

Quote:

Also genkernel doesn't do everything as it obviously doesn't know what you want and what you've done.

Yes, I have configured it to run makeconfig and install the bootloader etc...

I think what I don't understand yet is what points the system to mount the boot partition and read the GRUB configuration there instead of taking the GRUB config and the kernel images from my directory in the root partition.
I will open another topic to gain more attention on that, thanks.
afdev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all, who have helped me on this topic.
Many many thanks!!

I have updated the production server and switched to the new profile.
The only thing missing is the new kernel, for that I will open another issue in the relative section.
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome!

You can now edit the first post and add SOLVED to the title.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: