View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:49 am    Post subject: Flag emojis? Reply with quote

Howdy. I just noticed that, at least in some apps, I don't have flag emojis. WezTerm, for example. I only see lettered glyphs where the flags would be. I have other emojis (via media-fonts/noto-emoji). I noticed that Arch has a dedicated AUR for those flags in Noto: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noto-fonts-emoji-flags. I don't see such a ebuild in Gentoo. Am I missing a configuration that enables flag emojis from Noto? Thanks!
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe enabling the package's use flag icons?
flexibeast
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Unicode, what is visually a single 'character' / 'grapheme' is not necessarily a single Unicode code point. For example, different skin tones of face emoji can be created by combining a specific face emoji with an emoji modifier sequence.

Similarly, what appears as a single flag emoji is actually the result of combining two 'regional indicator symbols', which together a two-letter country code, the official flag for which can then be rendered as a single character - as long as the software does so. If you go to the Emojipedia page for flags, you'll see that the alt / hover / mouseover text for various flags says things like "The flag for Australia, which may show as the letters AU on some platforms". This was the outcome of the Unicode Consortium trying to get involved in various political debates about which flags "should" and/or "shouldn't" be included. (More details on Wikipedia.)

Thus, the issue is that some of the software you're using doesn't 'know' that certain Unicode sequences need to be represented on-screen as a 'flag'.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: