Quick Search: in
Questions about the rootfs encryption guide
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: Questions about the rootfs encryption guide Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I want to try my hand at running Gentoo again! :)
After (successfully) following @pietinger's excellent Gentoo for paranoid dummies a while back, it felt a little TOO involved for me.
So I wanted to step it down a notch and run the bin-kernel for the time being while still having some sort of security with an encrypted rootfs (though I know @pietinger isn't the biggest fan of this!).

I have followed this guide to the best of my abilities, but have a few questions left.

1. I get that there's a need for an unencrypted /boot partition, however do I need to put anything on there myself, or will all the things grub and dracut put on there suffice?

2. Since I installed the distribution kernel, do I even need to create the initramfs myself?
according to the handbook I need to tell dracut and grub that some extra parameters are necessary, however don't I only need to tell grub that in my case?

3. Do you know of some guide that is a little more cohesive? Don't get me wrong, the information posted in said guide is extremely valuable, however it often mentions that I can follow the handbook from chapter X to Y, but doesn't explicitely mention what chapters can be left out or need a little extra to work properly.

I hope you guys can help me with this, I am currently doing everything in a VM again so no harms done when I ..eventually.. screw up!

Thanks so much in advance :)
CooSee
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try out the following in a VM to get comfortable - it'll automate FDE (full disk encryption) install - it uses EFI boot ( no grub ) - but you can emerge grub afterwards if you want.

https://github.com/oddlama/gentoo-install

and here are some other detailed gentoo FDE install Howtos:

https://maxchristman.com/posts/gentoo/

https://gentoo.duxsco.de/

---
Quote:
distribution kernel, do I even need to create the initramfs myself?

nope, dracut will take care of it and runs grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg afterwards.

you should know that the system performance will go down (a little bit), because of the encryption - it all depends on your hardware!

i hope i could help you with this somehow.

8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: