ROCm on RX570 (gfx803)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: ROCm on RX570 (gfx803) Reply with quote

I've been trying to get ROCm to work on my RX570 (I want to use it for machine learning in PyTorch), but while the card is detected, any real-life tests seem to fail, usually with a segfault. For example, the vadd_hip example mentioned by wgo:HIP gives this output: http://0x0.st/H4fz.txt followed by Segmentation fault (core dumped).

Installed roc* packages:
Code:
[I] dev-libs/rocm-comgr (5.1.3-r3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute Code Object Manager
[I] dev-libs/rocm-device-libs (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute Device Libraries
[I] dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute OpenCL Compatible Runtime
[I] dev-libs/rocr-runtime (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute Runtime
[I] dev-libs/roct-thunk-interface (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute Thunk Interface
[I] dev-util/rocm-cmake (5.4.3(0/5.4)@12/10/23): Radeon Open Compute CMake Modules
[I] dev-util/rocm-smi (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): ROCm System Management Interface Library
[I] dev-util/rocm_bandwidth_test (5.3.3(0/5.3)@12/10/23): Bandwidth test for ROCm
[I] dev-util/rocminfo (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): ROCm Application for Reporting System Info
[I] dev-util/rocprofiler (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Callback/Activity Library for Performance tracing AMD GPU's
[I] dev-util/roctracer (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Callback/Activity Library for Performance tracing AMD GPU's
[I] sci-libs/rocBLAS (5.1.3-r4(0/5.1)@12/10/23): AMD's library for BLAS on ROCm
[I] sci-libs/rocFFT (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Next generation FFT implementation for ROCm
[I] sci-libs/rocPRIM (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): HIP parallel primitives for developing performant GPU-accelerated code on ROCm
[I] sci-libs/rocRAND (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Generate pseudo-random and quasi-random numbers
[I] sci-libs/rocSOLVER (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Implementation of a subset of LAPACK functionality on the ROCm platform
[I] sci-libs/rocSPARSE (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Basic Linear Algebra Subroutines for sparse computation
[I] sci-libs/rocThrust (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): HIP back-end for the parallel algorithm library Thrust
[I] dev-util/hip (5.1.3-r5(0/5.1)[1]@12/10/23): C++ Heterogeneous-Compute Interface for Portability
[I] sci-libs/hipBLAS (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): ROCm BLAS marshalling library
[I] sci-libs/hipCUB (5.1.3(0/5.1)@12/10/23): Wrapper of rocPRIM or CUB for GPU parallel primitives
[I] sci-libs/hipFFT (5.1.3-r2(0/5.1)[1]@12/10/23): CU / ROCM agnostic hip FFT implementation
[I] sci-libs/hipSPARSE (5.1.3-r1(0/5.1)@12/10/23): ROCm SPARSE marshalling library

(N.B.: I had to make a few very minor edits to the ebuilds for dev-util/hip and sci-libs/hipFFT in order to get them to compile: a sed one-liner to insert a missing #include <cstdint> for the first, and a -DHIP_ROOT_DIR="${EPREFIX}/usr" in the latter.)

Unfortunately I don't have much of a clue on how to even begin debugging this, so I'll wgetpaste whatever I can think of that might be relevant:

Hopefully somebody can help me figure this out, because I'm stumped. (Failing that, if anyone knows of a newer card that has been confirmed to work on Gentoo with ROCm and PyTorch, please let me know the exact model and brand!)
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very poor knowledge on OpenCL, but for my RX 550 to work properly, I had to install dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl
Don't know if it helps here.
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the proprietary one. The whole reason I buy AMD cards is to avoid proprietary drivers, so I'd very much like to avoid that. If I can't get this card to work with the FLOSS driver, I think I'd rather get a new one (besides, this one is kind of low on memory for ML anyway).
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be even worse than that. I've had similar problems with my RC 5500 based card. (Navi14 - gfx1012) I've managed to build the ROCm stuff, but I've never been able to actually DO anything with other than some opencv tests. More recently I tried to start building some other things like rocBLAS or pytorch, and none of it builds. I haven't had a lot of time to spend fiddling with it, however.

Then just the other day I saw on Phoronix about ZLCUDA - that will allow you to run Cuda binaries unchanged on an AMD card. Then I started looking into it harder. As of ROCm 5.7 the only supported cards are in the 7900 series. Not just only the newest generation, but only the top-end of the newest generation. I did manage to find some patches to get Navi14 running with a newer ROCm, but I'm not sure how new and they warn that not everything will work.

I saw others saying that ROCm was a waste of time about a year ago, but at the time hadn't looked much into it. Honestly, I still don't need it. I bought the hardware anticipating heading that direction and built some software necessary to get there. But as I said, I had mixed results and didn't have time to pursue.

At this point my next efforts into scientific computing won't need the GPU anyway, so I'm going to bide my time. When I get to the point of actually needing GPU computing I'll take another look at the market. At this time I'm expecting a GPU purchase will be nVidia and it's Cuda time. But we'll see.

STUPID STUPID STUPID moves on AMDs part. At the very least, today when I was looking at Cuda the API is versioned, so that it's documented what will work on what generation of cards.
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I ended up buying an RX 7800 XT for Christmas, and ROCm works fine on that. The downside is that I get occasional crashes with this card, even when I'm not using ROCm, but I guess that's just a matter of waiting for the graphics stack to stabilise. The biggest issue on the machine learning end is that if I inadvertently fill up the GPU memory, the system instantly hard-locks, so I have to be very careful with that.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I built my current computer I called it "Retirement Computer #2". I planned to dabble in scientific computing after retirement and wanted a capable machine. I made the best hardware decisions I could back in the Fall of 2020. I may not have been careful enough on my choice of GPU and may not have looked carefully enough at AMDs support statements. However the currently supported GPU didn't even exist back then, so it seems pretty clear that "supported" is a moving target.

Almost a year into retirement I've still been too busy to take up doing my own scientific computing. That which I've already done has been CPU based anyway and my system has been fully adequate to the tasks. I was thinking of "Retirement Computer #3", but it makes more sense to wait until my current system hits the wall, then see what's available. I've also been more closely formulating some things I want to try in the realm of scientific computing, and so far none of it really offloads into the GPU - yet. For me this can all wait.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: