[SOLVED]Cleaning up my mess.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nzPenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

Hello.

Finally have working Wifi and official Nvidia drivers. I've cleaned up some of the mess I've made with installing Grub but wanted some advice regarding the rest. I dont want to delete something again that needed to be there, already done that once and had to reisntall Grub again today.

I suspect some of the contents of my /efi is unneeded, please see ls output of /efi:

Code:
 config-6.1.67-gentoo                   System.map-6.1.67-gentoo
 config-6.1.67-gentoo.old               System.map-6.1.67-gentoo.old
 config-6.1.69-gentoo-dist              System.map-6.1.69-gentoo-dist
 config-6.1.69-gentoo-dist.old          System.map-6.1.69-gentoo-dist.old
 EFI                                   'System Volume Information'
 initramfs-6.1.67-gentoo.img            vmlinuz-6.1.67-gentoo
 initramfs-6.1.67-gentoo.img.old        vmlinuz-6.1.67-gentoo.old
 initramfs-6.1.69-gentoo-dist.img       vmlinuz-6.1.69-gentoo-dist
 initramfs-6.1.69-gentoo-dist.img.old   vmlinuz-6.1.69-gentoo-dist.old

Here is the output of ls for my /boot, vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist is my working kernel, is it safe to clean up the rest and then regenerate a new grub.cfg ?:

Code:
config-6.1.67-gentoo
config-6.1.67-gentoo.old
config-6.6.13-gentoo-dist
config-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist
config-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.old
grub
initramfs-6.1.67-gentoo.img
initramfs-6.1.67-gentoo.img.old
initramfs-6.6.13-gentoo-dist.img
initramfs-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.img
initramfs-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.img.old
System.map-6.1.67-gentoo
System.map-6.1.67-gentoo.old
System.map-6.6.13-gentoo-dist
System.map-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist
System.map-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.old
vmlinuz-6.1.67-gentoo
vmlinuz-6.1.67-gentoo.old
vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-dist
vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist
vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.old

Appreciate your input. Thank you.

Last edited by nzPenguin on Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

nzPenguin wrote:
I suspect some of the contents of my /efi is unneeded, please see ls output of /efi:

You need only the subdirectory "EFI", so you can delete all other files.

nzPenguin wrote:
Here is the output of ls for my /boot, vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist is my working kernel, is it safe to clean up the rest and then regenerate a new grub.cfg ?

You need the subdirectory "grub" and all files containing "*6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist*" ... it is wise to have a backup (*6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.old), but if you really want you can delete them also. Yes, after this deletion you must run grub-mkconfig again - and check the output of grub-mkconfig ! (but please no grub-install again; I only say this in advance, because once there was somebody in our forum who thought both is necessary).
nzPenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
nzPenguin wrote:

You need only the subdirectory "EFI", so you can delete all other files.

nzPenguin wrote:
Here is the output of ls for my /boot, vmlinuz-6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist is my working kernel, is it safe to clean up the rest and then regenerate a new grub.cfg ?

You need the subdirectory "grub" and all files containing "*6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist*" ... it is wise to have a backup (*6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist.old), but if you really want you can delete them also. Yes, after this deletion you must run grub-mkconfig again - and check the output of grub-mkconfig ! (but please no grub-install again; I only say this in advance, because once there was somebody in our forum who thought both is necessary).

Perfect thank you so much for confirming that. 6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist-dist is my working kernel :lol: Ill rename that after clean up but before generating a new grub.cfg. Ill keep a .old too as backup, that seems like a reasonable idea.
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

nzPenguin wrote:
Perfect thank you so much for confirming that. 6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist-dist is my working kernel :lol: Ill rename that after clean up but before generating a new grub.cfg. Ill keep a .old too as backup, that seems like a reasonable idea.

Moment please: I have not confirmed THAT 6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist-dist IS your working kernel. You said so ... and I confirmed what you THEN need: grub + working kernel.
nzPenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
nzPenguin wrote:

Moment please: I have not confirmed THAT 6.6.13-gentoo-gentoo-dist-dist IS your working kernel. You said so ... and I confirmed what you THEN need: grub + working kernel.

No but I had already confirmed it is the working kernel, sorry if there was any confusion.
pietinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cleaning up my mess. Reply with quote

nzPenguin wrote:
[...] sorry if there was any confusion.

It is all okay. You are very Welcome ! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: