View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibus92
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject: mesa-23.3.1 causing issue into my vmware virtualized Gentoo Reply with quote

I have installed Gentoo as a virtualized client in latest vmware player 17.5, and a Gentoo in KDE with wayland. Until libs-media/mesa-23.1.9, everything was just fine for years, but as soon as I upgraded to mesa-23.3.1, I got a black screen after logging into KDE, with a white menu bar that lights up once after clicking with the mouse. I found that this issue is related to bug #919285 among many others. So I decided to stick to mesa-23.1.9 with package mask exception. But now, mesa-23.1.9 is gone from the portage tree, so this exception can no longer be handled.

I found kind of workaround in deactivating 3D acceleration of VMware machine configuration which is using Nvidia 546.33 driver for my fast host. But surprisingly, same virtualized machine is working well with 3D acceleration on my XPS17 laptop using a legacy Nvidia 390 driver. This information have not been reported in bug #919285. For me, this is not really an issue since I can avoid 3D acceleration in faster host and still have 3D in slower laptop.
silverqx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, are you sure it was from 23.3.1? The only change that was made was something about gles2 and it looks it shouldn't cause a problem like this. Here is the https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/log/media-libs/mesa?ofs=50&showmsg=1, search: "Make USE=gles2 global", it was committed by Michał Górny.

The problem is that I don't understand the difference between the gles2 and gles2-only, the best thing would be to somehow restore the old gles2-only behavior and try if it's the cause of this problem.

Here is the release notes of mesa 23.3.1 there are no rapid changes, it's only a bugfix release.

Also would be good to invite Michał Górny or Matt Turner here to ask if the problem can be caused by gles2 changes, but I can't find them in memberlist, I'm pretty sure they would know right away this.
silverqx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded also my Manjaro installation and there is the same problem, the problem will be somewhere else between X, vmwgfx, or compositor or something.

This is sad, I have never seen something like this last 10 years, can you imagine that 3D rendering stopped working on Windows 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: