Gentoo Minimal CD vs Gentoo Admin CD vs SystemRescueCd 5.3.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Minimal CD vs Gentoo Admin CD vs SystemRescueCd 5.3.2 Reply with quote

Recently I am comparing between different Installation Media that can be used to install my another Gentoo machine. And I am surprised that both the Gentoo Minimal Installation CD and the Gentoo Admin CD lack the man and emerge programs. Meanwhile the previous version of the SystemRescueCd v5.3.2 is having both man and emerge.

(In addition, app-cdr/dvd+rw-tools is also available in SystemRescueCd v5.3.2 which comes handy. This is not available in both Gentoo Minimal CD and Admin CD.)

I am aware that Gentoo has rolled out the Gentoo LiveGUI DVD ISO. It is my bad that my USB sticks are either 2GB or 32GB+. It is also my bad that when I was trying to burn the Gentoo LiveGUI ISO into DVD discs, two triads failed. I am still not sure if my DVD drive is faulty, or my DVD discs are faulty. Anyway, using USB sticks is preferable over DVD discs as it is more environmental friendly. I believe the Gentoo LiveGUI DVD will consist all the programs I need. But at the moment I cannot experience it yet.

I am raising this topic because i think man and emerge are quite fundamental tools. It affects user experiences a lot, especial to new users.

FYI wrote:
Download Location - https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/

Description - https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Bootable_media

SystemRescueCd version 5.3.2 (last version using Gentoo)
Archived at - https://ftp.psu.ac.th/pub/sysresccd/
Discussion and checksum available - https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092708-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-150.html#8433510

To me, the old SysRescCD v5.3.2 is good enough but it lacks ZFS. Gentoo Admin CD has ZFS but it lacks fundamental tools.

Code:
                    |  Gentoo Minimal CD  |  Gentoo Admin CD  |  SysRescCD v5.3.2  |  Gentoo LiveGUI DVD
--------------------+---------------------+-------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------
ISO Size (approx.)  |       466 MB        |      668 MB       |       558MB        |       3,566 MB
--------------------+---------------------+-------------------+--------------------+----------------------------------
man program         |        N/A          |        N/A        |      available     |       available
emerge program      |        N/A          |        N/A        |      available     |       available
zfs program         |        N/A          |     available     |        N/A         |       available
dvd+rw-tools        |        N/A          |        N/A        |      available     |       available

Previously, I was using my working Gentoo OS, which I have emerged ZFS, to install a new Gentoo into another hard disk. But this approach is not as handy as a bootable USB stick. I am interested in how to build a bootable minimal Gentoo, so I can select my favourite tools. On the other hand, I am also interested in how to add ZFS into the old SysRescCD v5.3.2. Afterall it is too old. I think the Gentoo Admin CD should normally add the man and emerge programs.

Last edited by midnite on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever tried Ventoy? Very convenient tool. I've been using it with an external HDD for a few years and I really like it.
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eeckwrk99, Thank you. Let me try it later.

Updated the table in the first post. Gentoo LiveGUI is really marvelous. There are two minor problems with it:

1. Even I chose "cache all into ram" while boot, the bootable USB is not possible to be unmounted:
    Code:
    livecd ~ # umount -v /mnt/cdrom
    umount: /mnt/cdrom: target is busy.
    livecd ~ # lsof +f -- /mnt/cdrom
    lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.portal file system /home/gentoo/.cache/doc
          Output information may be incomplete.

2. It seems it is not possible to shutdown without pressing the power button for 4 seconds (force shutdown).

It would be nice to note that use sudo su - to gain root privilege, while su - does not work. (For previous years I only used su - but almost never used sudo.)
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnite wrote:
It would be nice to note that use sudo su - to gain root privilege, while su - does not work. (For previous years I only used su - but almost never used sudo.)

Can confirm
Code:
su -
doesn't work either on my end (livegui-amd64-20240107T170309Z.iso). If this post from Neddy from 2008 is still true, then it's by design.
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to say the not able to umount problem is really an issue. The LiveGUI not only makes the booting USB not able to be unounted, but the other USB drives connected later are also not able to be unmounted, with the same error message.
Code:
livecd ~ # umount -v /mnt/another_usb
umount: /mnt/another_usb: target is busy.
livecd ~ # lsof +f -- /mnt/another_usb

I guess it might be the Plasma search function is caching the drive. But it does not help after I switched off the plasma searches.

Another minor drawback of the LiveGUI is that I cannot switch to the six non-gui consoles with Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F1. Are they missing, or what is the key combination to switch?
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnite wrote:
I would like to say the not able to umount problem is really an issue. The LiveGUI not only makes the booting USB not able to be unounted, but the other USB drives connected later are also not able to be unmounted, with the same error message.
Code:
livecd ~ # umount -v /mnt/another_usb
umount: /mnt/another_usb: target is busy.
livecd ~ # lsof +f -- /mnt/another_usb

I guess it might be the Plasma search function is caching the drive. But it does not help after I switched off the plasma searches.

Did you try any mount options such as -f, --force / -l, --lazy / -R, --recursive?
Code:
umount -Rl
combination usually helps when getting "target is busy." error as far as I'm concerned.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midnite wrote:

1. Even I chose "cache all into ram" while boot, the bootable USB is not possible to be unmounted
I noticed this too while tinkering with my Asus Chromebox CN60.

Powering off the system did work from power button just fine (one short press), but doing it from KDE menu it varied.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
Did you try any mount options such as -f, --force / -l, --lazy / -R, --recursive?
Code:
umount -Rl
combination usually helps when getting "target is busy." error as far as I'm concerned.

Brilliant! umount --lazy /mnt/cdrom does successfully. Thank you!

I am new to umount --lazy. I just read the answer below. It seems that lazy umount is not really solving the problem that certain process is biting the device. I just tried that I can really read or write to the device after lazy umount.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/390056/why-is-lazy-mnt-detach-or-umount-l-unsafe-dangerous
midnite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
Powering off the system did work from power button just fine (one short press), but doing it from KDE menu it varied.

I confirm short press on the power button, and also shutdown -h now in Konsole, do power off successfully. KDE menu shutdown fails on my laptop and PC also. I wonder if the user gentoo does not get the privilege to shutdown.
sabayonino
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the user gentoo does not get the privilege to shutdown.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Troubleshooting/en#Missing_shutdown.2C_reboot.2C_suspend.2C_or_hibernate_buttons

Quote:
Also check that the user is in the users group.

Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sabayonino, we're discussing a possible bug on live cd. While it could be fixed, the problem would still be there after reboot.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: