Current binary package naming question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjeldse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Current binary package naming question Reply with quote

With the change in binary packages happening, what's going to happen with packages like `rust-bin` and `libreoffice-bin`? I'd like to make sure that I understand what changes (if any) I'll need to do in order to have a seamless upgrade in the future.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjeldse,

The use of the binary packages in that news item is entirely optional.
They will not have -bin name extensions and those packages will continue as before.

To use the official binary package repo, you need to set up portage to use it.
In other words, using the new binary repo is an extra option, its not in place of anything you do now.

Trying it is free as long as you use the --pretend option to emerge.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
fjeldse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Having the option of more binaries if I want to use them is great! I might try using them on my really old Asus netbook which really struggles to compile some system tools.

Are `-bin` packages going to become less common in the future, or do you anticipate them continuing to have separate functions as they do now where they are mostly for large packages? Will there be overlap between the two?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjeldse,

I don't think anyone is planning that far ahead yet.

The more ready made binaries you want to use, the more yours system is constrained to be configured to match the binary build system.
Binary distros don't tell you that. It's take it or leave it the (one) way it is.

Gentoo allows you to configure your system as before and use binaries on an 'opportunity' basis.
If they match, great. If not, you can either build your own, or change your configuration to better match the available binaries.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that distcc is a thing, it would be efficient for those in the userbase who leverage that function to be able to contribute binaries. Conceivably there could versions of every ebuild in the tree (or let's say latest stable only) compiled with every possible combination of use flags, respecting each users package.use, package.keywords and whatnot.

How might sufficient trust be established in such a scenario?
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do consider that to use the newly announced binary downloads that USE flags cannot be modified for a package or else the package will be compiled anyway. (At least to install safely.)

Having -bin options that will never compile on large packages can still make sense. Some packages are binary only and do not have -bin in the name. This simply exists for those that can compile but also resource intensive with a different option.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

The use of the binary packages in that news item is entirely optional.

Unrelated maybe, kinda, but I didn't get that news item, last one was :
Quote:
[21] 2023-08-23 [librewolf] Codeberg Migration

gentoo.conf is the default one (in repos.conf dir), I didn't switch to github or something else, was that news item for everyone and if yes any idea why I'm missing that one ?
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
Do consider that to use the newly announced binary downloads that USE flags cannot be modified for a package or else the package will be compiled anyway. (At least to install safely.)

Having -bin options that will never compile on large packages can still make sense. Some packages are binary only and do not have -bin in the name. This simply exists for those that can compile but also resource intensive with a different option.

What about ~bin then? That'd shift it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Main Man,

It's on the https://www.gentoo.org front page.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running a binary host for at least 10 years now, so the concept of binary packages is hardly new to me. Sure, I see no harm in not having the -bin indicator on packages and see it as a win if a pre-built binary matches with its USE flags plus dependencies matches what I already have.

I do want to be sure that certain packages retain the -bin indication, however. My poster child for this is rust-bin. If perchance one of my USE-flag settings would one day no longer match those available in the rust-bin builds and thus trigger a rebuild of plain rust, I want that fact to show up as an error during emerge's dependency resolution.

I really hope we don't lose those -bin indications from such packages.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket.

That's the difference between --getpackage and --getpackageonly (-g and -G).

The former says to use binaries if possible. The latter is use binaries or fail.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
miket.

That's the difference between --getpackage and --getpackageonly (-g and -G).

The former says to use binaries if possible. The latter is use binaries or fail.
That's fine for any of the machines that are set to fetch packages from my build host. Alas that won't serve for the build host itself--which generally builds packages from source. I don't want to build dev-lang/rust on the build host either. Though there are several packages with -bin variants I'm happy to build anyway, rust isn't one of them. It takes too long to build and has a frenetic release schedule.

Right now I have dev-lang/rust in package.mask to force the use of rust-bin no matter how the USE flags are set up. If the -bin suffix were to go away from the package name I'd have a harder time forcing that. Specifying -G is fine for the first emerge of the package, but doesn't help much for world updates on the build host. How else could getbinpkgonly be configured on a per-package basis? It could be done through a USE flag setting, I suppose, but would that be a bit abusive of the USE flag system--especially since it has been best practice so far to keep the USE-flag configuration between build host and build clients perfectly in sync?
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
Right now I have dev-lang/rust in package.mask to force the use of rust-bin no matter how the USE flags are set up. If the -bin suffix were to go away from the package name I'd have a harder time forcing that. Specifying -G is fine for the first emerge of the package, but doesn't help much for world updates on the build host. How else could getbinpkgonly be configured on a per-package basis? It could be done through a USE flag setting, I suppose, but would that be a bit abusive of the USE flag system--especially since it has been best practice so far to keep the USE-flag configuration between build host and build clients perfectly in sync?

Can you use /etc/portage/env, /etc/portage/package.env to set EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=-getbinpkgonly for rust and other behemoths ? Not tested. Test with emerge -pv .

See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.env. Also man portage, man make.conf .
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libreoffice-bin is a Gentoo-built binary and a pain to keep doing, so that might at some point (maybe, not committing to it) go away and then we'd expect people to use libreoffice from the binhost if they want a binary.

firefox-bin, rust-bin (with the exception of sparc where I build it) are upstream-built binaries and are very unlikely indeed to go away - both because they're useful in terms of testing stuff, confirming bugs, etc, but also because they're easy to maintain. A Gentoo-built binary would also possibly function differently.

Also, right now, Portage doesn't support conditional getbinpkg override like that, see bug 463964.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
irefox-bin, rust-bin (with the exception of sparc where I build it) are upstream-built binaries and are very unlikely indeed to go away - both because they're useful in terms of testing stuff, confirming bugs, etc, but also because they're easy to maintain. A Gentoo-built binary would also possibly function differently.

Also, right now, Portage doesn't support conditional getbinpkg override like that, see bug 463964.

It's reassuring that rust-bin won't go away. You remind me of something, though, that is a bit disturbing.

The default delivery method for rust builds, I understand, is for the user to source the output of curl into a root shell. I shudder just to type that. It gives me shivers on several levels. Please tell me that's not how the rust-bin maintainer gets rust updates.
mkyral
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note: I had to mask dev-lang/rust because portage preferred it over dev-lang/rust-bin when I run emerge with "--with-bdeps=y"
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miket wrote:
sam_ wrote:
irefox-bin, rust-bin (with the exception of sparc where I build it) are upstream-built binaries and are very unlikely indeed to go away - both because they're useful in terms of testing stuff, confirming bugs, etc, but also because they're easy to maintain. A Gentoo-built binary would also possibly function differently.

It's reassuring that rust-bin won't go away. You remind me of something, though, that is a bit disturbing.

The default delivery method for rust builds, I understand, is for the user to source the output of curl into a root shell. I shudder just to type that. It gives me shivers on several levels. Please tell me that's not how the rust-bin maintainer gets rust updates.

I promise it indeed isn't. PGP verification is also wired up in the ebuilds (verify-sig).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: