Tools for handling reflinks?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cellmate
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Tools for handling reflinks? Reply with quote

My situation: I use Gentoo and often use reflinks on my XFS disks. Because they have the advantage that you can change a duplicated subtree without the other one automatically doing the same, as would be the case with hardlinks. But this is exactly the problem if you want to copy everything together, because apparently only very few tools like coreutils recognize reflinks.

Now my question: Is there a tool that can detect reflinks? I haven't found anything on the subject, even tools like rmlint can create reflinks, but do not recognize them. Especially GNU tar does not.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tools for handling reflinks? Reply with quote

Cellmate wrote:
Is there a tool that can detect reflinks? I haven't found anything on the subject, even tools like rmlint can create reflinks, but do not recognize them.
Detecting a reflink is problematic in practice, since to my knowledge there isn't any "flags" that would simply indentify a reflinked file. A reflinked file is just a regular file which shares some or all physical extents with one or more files. But that situation could also be a result of a deduplication process.

Basically you need to check if the files share same (all or some) physical extents and then decide if they're reflinked or not.

Few tools:

Please, note that I haven't tested either of these tools.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: