[SOLVED] Ran out of disk space, now Gentoo won't boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyntax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Ran out of disk space, now Gentoo won't boot Reply with quote

So I accidentally ran out of disk space in root (I wasn't paying attention) and when I rebooted, Gentoo will no longer boot and I just go straight to a BIOS screen. BIOS does see the gentoo partition still to boot but the boot is so fast I can't catch any error that might be thrown before it hits the BIOS screen. I tried hitting keys to hold the GRUB menu open but I don't think it's even getting to that part because I can usually hold that open under normal circumstances if needed.

I booted off a livecd and got into my root partition and freed up about 200GB, but that didn't fix it. I then went back in and mounted root and my boot partition and did a "grub2-mkconfig" to reinstall my boot partition (in case that was the issue) which showed an expected output with no errors and that still didn't fix it.

At this point I'm not sure what else to try. I don't think Gentoo has any kind of fancy "repair" feature so I'm looking for assistance as I've never run into this issue before.

Pertinent /etc/fstab looks as follows - nothing fancy here.

/dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/EFI
/dev/nvme0n1p2 /

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Zyntax on Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of disk space, now Gentoo won't boot Reply with quote

Zyntax wrote:
So I accidentally ran out of disk space in root (I wasn't paying attention) and when I rebooted, Gentoo will no longer boot and I just go straight to a BIOS screen. BIOS does see the gentoo partition still to boot but the boot is so fast I can't catch any error that might be thrown before it hits the BIOS screen. I tried hitting keys to hold the GRUB menu open but I don't think it's even getting to that part because I can usually hold that open under normal circumstances if needed.

Are you saying that grub is crashing before even showing the grub menu ?

Quote:
I booted off a livecd and got into my root partition and freed up about 200GB, but that didn't fix it. I then went back in and mounted root and my boot partition and did a "grub2-mkconfig" to reinstall my boot partition (in case that was the issue) which showed an expected output with no errors and that still didn't fix it.

If it's the bootloader (grub) that's broken, you should probably re-run grub-install .

(I don't see how a full disk would crash grub. Could it be a coincidence ? )
Zyntax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ran out of disk space, now Gentoo won't boot Reply with quote

sublogic wrote:
Zyntax wrote:

Are you saying that grub is crashing before even showing the grub menu ?

Quote:

If it's the bootloader (grub) that's broken, you should probably re-run grub-install .

(I don't see how a full disk would crash grub. Could it be a coincidence ? )

grub-install fixed it. Thanks!

Yeah apparently running out of space borked grub!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: