View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: sddm crashes when using wayland backend Reply with quote

I recently found out that sddm 0.20.0+ has an experimental wayland backend, but I've been having issues getting it to actually work. Has anyone had any luck with it?

This seems to be the primary error I'm getting via /var/log/sddm.log:
Code:
[03:21:08.619] (II) DAEMON: Greeter starting...
[03:21:08.619] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopping...
[03:21:08.619] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopped.
[03:21:08.620] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper (--socket /tmp/sddm-auth-a5bf4db0-7f21-427d-8893-8df8d0937fa1 --id 14 --start /usr/bin/sddm-greeter --socket /tmp/sddm--ojRQhR --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze --user sddm --display-server kwin_wayland --drm --no-lockscreen --no-global-shortcuts --locale1 --greeter) crashed (exit code 1)
[03:21:08.620] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 15

Somethings crashing, although not much info beyond that why.
I set this up based on the section on the archwiki:
/etc/sddm.conf.d/plasma-wayland.conf:
Code:
[General]
DisplayServer=wayland
GreeterEnvironment=QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=layer-shell

[Wayland]
CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --drm --no-lockscreen --no-global-shortcuts --locale1
SessionLogFile=/var/lib/sddm/.local/share/sddm-wayland.log

The other config files that exist in /etc/sddm.conf.d:
01gentoo.conf:
Code:
[General]
# Remove qtvirtualkeyboard as InputMethod default
InputMethod=

kde_settings.conf:
Code:
[Autologin]
Relogin=false
Session=
User=

[General]
HaltCommand=
Numlock=on
RebootCommand=

[Theme]
Current=breeze
CursorTheme=Breeze_Snow
Font=Fira Sans,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0

[Users]
MaximumUid=60000
MinimumUid=1000

A few more data points about the system on which I'm attempting this:

• Using OpenRC and elogind
  • Currently using x11-misc/sddm-9999 from the gentoo-zh overlay since on this system I'm currently testing Plasma 6
  • I've observed the same behavior with sddm 0.20.0-r1 with Plasma 5 on other systems, so I'm doubtful this is directly related to the version
  • sddm user is a member of sddm and video groups

One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not the "sddm" user has the appropriate permissions to be able to run sddm rootless. Normally on my systems sddm runs in the default rootful mode, so I tried running it in rootless X11 mode (DisplayServer=x11-user) to see if I got any different behavior. Other than the command being logged being different, it's the same as the Wayland behavior:
Code:
[03:56:56.473] (II) DAEMON: Greeter starting...
[03:56:56.473] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopping...
[03:56:56.473] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopped.
[03:56:56.473] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper (--socket /tmp/sddm-auth-bbcf5f4a-2522-4936-826e-dff7683b5fa9 --id 14 --start /usr/bin/sddm-greeter --socket /tmp/sddm--PReFMJ --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze --user sddm --display-server /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -background none -seat seat0 -noreset -keeptty -novtswitch -verbose 3 --greeter) crashed (exit code 1)
[03:56:56.473] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 15

I've also poked around /var/lib/sddm for any more detailed logs, but I didn't find anything relevant. /var/lib/sddm/.local/share/sddm-helper-start-wayland/sddm.log exists, but its last modified date was in November.

My preference would be to use kwin as the compositor, but I also tried using the default dev-libs/weston by removing the CompositorCommand and GreeterEnvironment definitions. Still crashed in the same way:

Code:
[09:55:48.645] (II) DAEMON: Greeter starting...
[09:55:48.645] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopping...
[09:55:48.645] (II) DAEMON: Socket server stopped.
[09:55:48.645] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper (--socket /tmp/sddm-auth-edb644cd-5d4b-4943-b768-771d9cc3b048 --id 14 --start /usr/bin/sddm-greeter --socket /tmp/sddm--OepPZK --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/breeze --user sddm --display-server weston --shell=fullscreen-shell.so --greeter) crashed (exit code 1)
[09:55:48.645] (WW) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper exited with 15

I'm not sure what USE flags for dev-libs/weston are necessary for this, but I did enable the wayland-compositor and fullscreen
Code:
dev-libs/weston-13.0.0::gentoo was built with the following:
USE="X desktop drm fullscreen gles2 jpeg lcms pipewire resize-optimization suid wayland-compositor webp -editor -examples -headless -ivi -kiosk -rdp -remoting -screen-sharing -systemd -test -vnc -xwayland" ABI_X86="(64)"

And if it matters, USE flags for sddm:
Code:
x11-misc/sddm-9999::gentoo-zh was built with the following:
USE="X elogind pam qt6 -systemd -test" ABI_X86="(64)"

You'll notice that I have a SessionLogFile defined in plasma-wayland.conf, but there isn't anything logged there. Must be crashing before that logfile is relevant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: