Weird DKIM issue [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Weird DKIM issue [SOLVED] Reply with quote

When I send mails from apache, DKIM Authentication is happy, but if I send mail via cron/PHP CLI on the same server, DKIM fails with:

Code:
Authentication-Results: removed.com;
 dkim=fail reason="signature verification failed" (2048-bit key; unprotected) header.d=remove.com header.i=@remove.com header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=web header.b=RnSgVFQ+;
 dkim-atps=neutral

The mail content is the same in both cases. Source IP is correct,

When sending from the webserver:

Code:
Authentication-Results: removed.com;
 dkim=pass (2048-bit key; unprotected) header.d=removed.com header.i=@removed.com header.a=rsa-sha256 header.s=web header.b=cJtdBStR;
 dkim-atps=neutral

DKIM headers are added in both cases. I know it's something simple but I'm going around in circles.

Last edited by hanj on Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot in the dark: which server does the verification? Inspect and compare all headers, not only dkim one. Did both messages go though the same route?
BTW, SMTP headers are best read bottom-up.

Maybe you sent one mail via mail submission port and the other via smtp? SMTP may or may not allow mail submission, and when it doesn't, it might fail in various ways.
hanj
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
A shot in the dark: which server does the verification? Inspect and compare all headers, not only dkim one. Did both messages go though the same route?
BTW, SMTP headers are best read bottom-up.

Maybe you sent one mail via mail submission port and the other via smtp? SMTP may or may not allow mail submission, and when it doesn't, it might fail in various ways.

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured it out. It was the content between two instances. I stated they were the same, but looking at the source code, one email had minified CSS, while the other did not. The minified version (I'm guessing) was chunking the email, where the non-minified did not. Once I broke up the minified version, it passed.

hanji
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: