Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Any kernel driver repository/wiki out there?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coalms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Any kernel driver repository/wiki out there? Reply with quote

It's a conundrum whenever I compile a kernel if the drivers I picked will work with my hardware or not. Sound codecs specifically are a headache, I have had times where output to input loopback was a thing so in voice chats everyone could hear me gaming so I was forces to push to talk.

I am currently compiling a new kernel to see if the reason pipewire doesn't work is because of my codec selection even though alsa does.
Where or how do you usually search for the right kernel drivers for your architecture?
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it comes to alsa there is https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ALSA and https://docs.kernel.org/sound/hd-audio/models.html. The Gentoo wikid describes a way how to find the right kernel module.

For other hardware the best way will be to find the device id with any of the hardware detection tools https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Hardware_detection and then search for the id and linux kernel with your prefered search tool

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Any kernel driver repository/wiki out there? Reply with quote

coalms wrote:
Where or how do you usually search for the right kernel drivers for your architecture?

In the unlikely event that you can't find the documentation from searching, you can just throw everything at it and see what it uses. With hardware drivers like ALSA audio drivers, the kernel won't load modules for hardware that isn't present... so you can just build every driver you think your chipset could possibly be (as modules), see which one your kernel actually loads, and then rebuild disabling all the others.

In fact you don't even need to disable the others: that's how generic (prebuilt) distro kernels work, providing a huge range of modules and allowing the kernel to pick what it needs based on the hardware it detects. But, if you want a lean, tidy little kernel with only the drivers you need, booting a generic one and then using lsmod to see what it loaded can work as a clumsy way to identify your drivers. There is also a make localmodconfig method for going straight from the running modules to a kernel .config (obviously you need to plug in webcams, USB drivers, printers and anything else you want built before attempting it), although I don't use that myself so can't vouch for it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: