Netifrc works but throws a warning?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freedom1947
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Netifrc works but throws a warning? Reply with quote

I am very curious about the warning message I am receiving: "WARNING: net.wlxxxx has started, but is inactive". I do have an internet connection and it works fine but I can't figure out why this warning message occurs. Help would be appreciated.

Here is syslog:
Code:

/etc/init.d/net.wlxxxx[1470]: WARNING: net.wlxxxx has started, but is inactive
/etc/init.d/netmount[1471]: WARNING: netmount will start when net.wlxxxx has started
kernel: wlxxxx: authenticate with 64:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
kernel: wlxxxx: send auth to 64:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)
kernel: wlxxxx: authenticated
kernel: wlxxxx: associate with 64:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1/3)
kernel: wlxxxx: RX AssocResp from 64:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (capab=0x411 status=0 aid=10)
kernel: wlxxxx: associated
wpa_cli: interface wlxxxx CONNECTED
rfkill: unblock set for all

Here is my /etc/conf.d/net:
Code:

config_wlxxxx="192.168.x.xx/24"
routes_wlxxxx="default via 192.168.x.yy"
dns_servers_wlxxxx="192.168.x.yy 1.1.1.1"

And here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
ap_scan=1

network={
   ssid="xxxx"
   pairwise=CCMP TKIP
   group=CCMP TKIP
   psk="xxxx"
   priority=3
}

Also, when I just installed gentoo, I had trouble with rfkill soft blocks, so I configured /etc/init.d/net.wlxxxx, adding the two lines regarding rfkill:
Code:

[ -z "${_up_before_preup}" ] && _up_before_preup=$up_before_preup

einfo "Unblocking rfkill soft-blocks"
rfkill unblock all

einfo "Bringing up interface ${IFACE}"
eindent

This was I workaround because I didn't know a better way. If somebody has an idea about that, please share.
alamahant
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does
Code:

rc_want="dev-settle"

in
/etc/conf.d/wpa_supplicant
help?
Freedom1947
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. The syslog remains the same.
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom1947 wrote:
I am very curious about the warning message I am receiving: "WARNING: net.wlxxxx has started, but is inactive". I do have an internet connection and it works fine but I can't figure out why this warning message occurs. Help would be appreciated.

Here is syslog:
Code:

/etc/init.d/net.wlxxxx[1470]: WARNING: net.wlxxxx has started, but is inactive

This is a normal message because wireless requires netifrc to background itself while wpa_supplicant connects. It will always be there.
Freedom1947 wrote:
Also, when I just installed gentoo, I had trouble with rfkill soft blocks, so I configured /etc/init.d/net.wlxxxx, adding the two lines regarding rfkill:
Code:

[ -z "${_up_before_preup}" ] && _up_before_preup=$up_before_preup

einfo "Unblocking rfkill soft-blocks"
rfkill unblock all

einfo "Bringing up interface ${IFACE}"
eindent

What?? Why are you editing /etc/init.d/net.wlxxxx? This should be a symlink to net.lo. net.lo will be overwritten as netifrc is updated.

If you really want this to run before bringing up the interface, create a preup function in /etc/conf.d/net and specify it there.
Freedom1947
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the first part, that makes sense. I wonder if there is an overhead of this netifrc backgrounding? Because, that would mean that netifrc has to start just to background itself so that wpa_supplicant can connect? If there truly is an unnecessary work being done, how could I avoid it? Write my own net init script instead of netifrc? I would like to know a bit more about it, please.

Regarding the second part, I have edited net.lo, not net.wlxxxx, I know it is a symlink, but wrote the wrong one in the original post, I meant net.lo. Nonetheless, I know it is not how it should be done, that is why I asked. At the time, it just worked and I had no time for further tempering. I couldn't figure out how to automatically rfkill unblock. I still don't. It is not that I really want this to run before bringing up the interface, but I don't know how else to avoid rfkill blocking network card. Would creating the mentioned preup function in /etc/conf.d/net be the right way to go about that or what should I do?

Thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate it!
Freedom1947
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: disabling rfkill softblocks Reply with quote

I have discovered that disabling rfkill in kernel resolves the rfkill part of the question. Since I set
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL is not set
instead of
Code:
CONFIG_RFKILL=m
I do not have rfkill softblocks anymore and can connect to internet. I have also measured slightly shorter boot time. I could have probably just blacklisted rfkill module but I do not have any need for it so I just simply removed it from kernel. Is it alright to this then?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: