Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pc_user4 wrote:
I know this thread hasn't had activity for a bit
I've seen people raise up threads that are far far older than a few weeks. However, since this thread is not likely to show up on a search requesting help with a technical problem, I am curious how you came to it now. Are you catching up on old threads to learn more about Gentoo? If so, Chat is probably not a great place to start. Kernel&Hardware or Portage&Programming are more likely to have threads that, while older, still contain useful information. Chat is a much more mixed bag.
pc_user4 wrote:
, but "ricing" / "rice" as a verb has racist context and I suggest to disavow such language within Gentoo. I understand the "Gentoo is Rice" meme page is several decades old and the world was a very different place in the early 2000's.
When making such an accusation, please provide substantiating citations. Like some of the other respondents, I don't understand the basis for this complaint. Against whom is it racist? In what community would I be the outlier for not knowing this?

As regards disavowal, are you asking for the original poster to disavow it, for a formal condemnation by someone with a fancy Gentoo title, or something else? Gentoo is loosely organized, and while recognized names may disavow particularly distasteful legal things, I don't think it would be a good use of your time hunting down every distasteful idea related to Gentoo and asking for a formal condemnation. There are too many people in the world discussing Gentoo (not all of them via these forums, or even mediated through Gentoo-hosted resources), and doubtless some of them will say something stupid or insensitive at some point. You will exhaust yourself trying to police Gentoo's reputation if you monitor everyone who mentions Gentoo.
pc_user4 wrote:
I am not the only one here who endorses the use of Gentoo in professional settings, and I would be very unhappy if a current or prospective employer investigating what Gentoo is all about saw such things or came across the "Gentoo is Rice" page.
If this prospective individual sees that page and takes it seriously, I wouldn't be particularly happy working with them. First, it's clearly satirical. Second, it includes this line:
Quote:
Looks like we've gotten some attention on the Gentoo Forums recently.
If you follow that link, you will hit a login barrier, because it points into Off The Wall, which was restricted years ago. If you had a privileged enough account to see its contents anyway, you would see that the linked page is from 2004, so if that was "recent" when the author mentioned it, then the Gentoo is Rice page is itself very old, likely from the mid-2000s as well. Even the most recent post in that thread, way out on page 15, is from July 2013. The page 15 posts are themselves a thread necromancy, raising it after page 14 stopped in April 2009. Since the author specifically decorated the link to point to the first page, I am inclined to believe the 2004 date stamp is more accurate.
pc_user4 wrote:
We all use Gentoo because we enjoy full control over the system and squeezing every last bit of performance out of our systems.
I care about the control, but not about squeezing all possible performance from the system. I decided years ago I would gladly forgo a little bit of performance for the personal time saved by not trying to identify precisely how far I can push the system without destabilizing it.
pc_user4 wrote:
We would all be better off to refrain from using language which may be seen as culturally insensitive.
In my culture, sweeping generalizations may be seen as insensitive to the varied backgrounds of those listening.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pc_user4 wrote:
refrain from using language which may be seen as culturally insensitive.

I for one find speech/thought policing and accusations of [whatever]-ism without regard for context in a primarily technical forum both "culturally insensitive" and downright obnoxious.
Likewise mealy-mouthed "we would all be better off" comments. Speak for youself, and if you have beef with someone in particular, speak to them.

Seems szatox called it after all. :roll:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: