Install from calculate to mbr fails at grub [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Install from calculate to mbr fails at grub [solved] Reply with quote

I have been using calculate linux to install gentoo. This works, but their installer isn't perfect. Once you're done it's very easy to switch from their binhost to gentoo repositories, although a binhosted gentoo is very nice too. I have reviewed this elsewhere.

In particular, if you're installing to an old system with no uefi, things get difficult. I believe this is a grub, not a gentoo or calculate problem. The install live cd uses uefi boot, and grub stubbornly refuses to believe that you're doing a legacy install. Uefi has certainly become the default, so installing to mbr from a uefi is more and more of a useless edge case of use to nobody. But I think the same thing could bite straight up gentoo users too.

The calculate installer after correctly installing everything fails with:

Code:
Failed to mount efivarfs, installation failed.

I tried every which way to get it to work, but it just won't. Not a gentoo problem so I won't elaborate. what I did was try to run grub by hand after cl-install exits: # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdX

That should work, but fails with:
Code:
 Error: Failed to get canonical path of `none'

This is a pretty cryptic error, not unheard-of, but definitely a grub error. Grub is looking once again for nonexistent efi partitions of some kind. But after much googling I found the solution. You can override grub's default behavior with:

Code:
 # grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/test /dev/sdX

Of course you have to have mounted your target root directory. Calculate mounts the target disk in a weird place, but I just created /mnt/test and mounted it there too.

That finally worked for me, and I'm on to the next problem. But the post where I found this recommend that you can add "--force" if that didn't work. Since it worked I can't check that.

Cheers,
Jon.
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Install from calculate to mbr fails at grub [solved] Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Uefi has certainly become the default, so installing to mbr from a uefi is more and more of a useless edge case of use to nobody. But I think the same thing could bite straight up gentoo users too.

Virtualised systems are often using a virtualised BIOS.

jesnow wrote:
I tried every which way to get it to work, but it just won't. Not a gentoo problem so I won't elaborate. what I did was try to run grub by hand after cl-install exits: # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdX

That should work, but fails with:
Code:
 Error: Failed to get canonical path of `none'

This is a pretty cryptic error, not unheard-of, but definitely a grub error. Grub is looking once again for nonexistent efi partitions of some kind. But after much googling I found the solution. You can override grub's default behavior with:

Code:
 # grub-install --recheck --root-directory=/mnt/test /dev/sdX

Of course you have to have mounted your target root directory. Calculate mounts the target disk in a weird place, but I just created /mnt/test and mounted it there too.

If you want to install Grub, you either need to chroot into the target system and execute the "grub-install /dev/sda" there or you need to specify the target system with the "--root-directory" option. Because you want Grub from your installed system and not from the live-system.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a bare metal install, not virtualized. Calculate is especially nice for virtualized, small or one-off systems as you don't have to spend days to compile and maintain them and they're still gentoo. this however, was 100% metal. An old (but still good) system.
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Unsupported Software.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey it's your ballpark, your rules.

pietinger wrote:
pietinger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
Hey it's your ballpark, your rules.

pietinger wrote:

If an Gentoo developer tells me it is wrong I believe him:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8801943.html#8801943
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: