Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Experience with different VM hypervisors for Windows guest?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carcajou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Experience with different VM hypervisors for Windows guest? Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I have a need for a long-term Windows virtual machine for company related stuff and I would like to hear about experiences regarding different hypervisors? For few years I use Qemu/KVM+libvirt (with custom bash script or rarely virt-manager), but I run only Linux guests (and it's flawless).

Now I need to install Windows 10 or 11, so I can use Excel/MS Office package in combination with proprietary .NET based company accounting software. Wine is not an option for me, because it has to be supported and stable setup. Also, because of formatted copy/paste functionality which Windows provides (and I heavily use at my work PC).

Key points for me are: full resolution (because I will use VM full screen mostly) with basic/elementary graphics performance, file sharing (between Gentoo host and guest) and/or maybe USB forwarding.

I would appreciate a feedback (and maybe a tip or two) from someone who uses Windows VM regularly. I guess other options are Virtualbox and VMware Player?

Usually, I would test it myself with different hypervisors, but this weekend I have to set it up and start using it from Monday. In the meantime, I am quite time limited. Dual boot is out of consideration btw.
gtwrek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only consider myself an intermediate Qemu/KVM user - I've got some virtual gentoo machines that I use, as well as a single Window 7 machine.
Qemu/KVM (with custom bash scripts) work fine for me.

My Windows7 needs are modest - I'm not playing games with it or anything, but I prefer full resolution - which seems to work fine. Looking at my scripts it seems I had some trouble getting audio to work in the VM, but I think I eventually resolved that.

My need to boot that Windows VM have dwindled - I see I've not started it up since Apr 2022. So, keep that in mind when considering my feedback here.

I had used Virtualbox in the past, and that worked as well. I can't recall the reasons why I switched to Qemu, but something led me down this path. (May have just been just for my learning sake, and I left things in that last working state)
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kukibl wrote:
For few years I use Qemu/KVM+libvirt (with custom bash script or rarely virt-manager), but I run only Linux guests (and it's flawless).

Windows 10 runs great on kvm/qemu.

Guest drivers for full resolution etc

virtiofs and winfsp for shared host/guest directories.

Code:
<filesystem type="mount" accessmode="passthrough">
  <driver type="virtiofs"/>
  <binary path="/usr/libexec/virtiofsd"/>
  <source dir="path/to/share"/>
  <target dir="G:"/>
  <alias name="fs0"/>
  <address type="pci" domain="0x0000" bus="0x08" slot="0x00" function="0x0"/>
</filesystem>

^that's what virtmanager does.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VirtualBox.
carcajou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you all for the provided feedback.

I went with virt-manager, to keep things straight-forward and to use the same stack as for other VMs. I got the full resolution and host<->guest file sharing (thank you @mrbassie), but I am far from satisfied with performance (compared for example with Linux guests). Graphics are slow and laggy, sound has some kind of delay... It is usable, but the work flow is "demanding".

I am looking for the ways to try to tweak the setup and get some additional performance. Some info:

1) I used raw image format instead of qcow2,
2) the cache mode for disk is set to "writeback" (I followed these instructions: https://raphtlw.medium.com/how-to-set-up-a-kvm-qemu-windows-10-vm-ca1789411760),
3) VM has 6GB of RAM available and 4 dedicated threads/cores.

In case someone has additional tips, I would be thankful. The option of last resort would be to convert the raw image to .vdi and try with VirtualBox.

Last edited by carcajou on Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use qxl for video and spice rather than vnc. Video is fine for me. I've also tweaked the guest a bit however. Turning off file indexing gets a nice performance win. also disable all the desktop effects, turn off unnecessary services, change the power scheme. Also, there's a program I use called geek uninstaller which lets you remove all the "metro apps" bloat.
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have win 11 pro with tpm 2.0 emulation enabled provided by app-crypt/swtpm running qemu mostly using a virt-manager configured vm template. It's been very reliable.

The tpm emulation config imo has more often just worked by editing the vm xml config either with virt-manager or virsh edit <vm> by attempting to add the tpm device code below

Code:
 <tpm model='tpm-tis'>
      <backend type='emulator' version='2.0'/>
 </tpm>

There's some merit to not using libvirt and virt-manager but forgoing using advantageous and beneficial utilities hasnt been as beneficial or usable in my experience. Since I've become more familiar with qemu I've not relied on vmware or virtualbox at all for personal use and some professional enterprise systems I've maintained.

Most of the qemu vm's I use are used remotely so features such as gpu passthrough aren't frequently required or are used for other devices but every qemu windows vm has virtio drivers installed.

virt-manager is available for cgywin. unfortunately the cgywin package currently has no maintainer and it's slightly outdated but last I used it still connected to libvirt remotely over ssh. If you had to use windows for an administrative workstation there's still available options for connecting to libvirt to manage a qemu/kvm hypervisor. ssh key auth is still required to remotely view the local gui session in virt-manager used from cgywin but that's required with a proper linux install environment as well.

I had wished someone would update the cgywin packages however :)

One other configuration item that for simple vm server hosts makes using qemu so much simpler is creating a new network bridge interface instead of entirely relying on the provided virbr0 libvirt provided bridge. the virbr0 bridge is still useful however not being required to use virsh networking configuration certainly eliminates a lot of the anxiety many people experience when considering using libvirt.

If your considering using a gentoo host for a qemu/libvirt/virt-manager configuration you'll certainly benefit from additional use flags the default use flag configuration doesn't provide.
Compile long and Prosper!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: