Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Split from USE="vulkan*" becomes default (ugh)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Split from USE="vulkan*" becomes default (ugh) Reply with quote

Moderator note: Split from USE="vulkan*" becomes default (ugh) -- pietinger

asturm wrote:
These are support forums, and you are not the one having to answer to bug reports. Please don't make it about you and your fringe case setup.

Had to look it up, apparently it's ironis. I learned something irrelevant today.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for your loss, but go shitpost somewhere else.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the same line as a asturm, but more politely: mrbassie, please don't try to derail topics.

asturm, please, next time just report the post.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I'm on the same line as a asturm, but more politely: mrbassie, please don't try to derail topics.

Dev posts in thread purely to tell user they're holding it wrong and that choosing to hold it wrong=good. Non dev posts in thread purely to point out hypocrisy=derailing/bad.

Got it.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you.
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrbassie wrote:
Zucca wrote:
Dev posts in thread purely to tell user they're holding it wrong and that choosing to hold it wrong=good. Non dev posts in thread purely to point out hypocrisy=derailing/bad.

Got it.
Not quite. stefan11111 routinely brings up and advocates the use of a non-standard USE setup with notable drawbacks, and frequently fails to point out the pitfalls of following through on that setup. Experienced users are welcome to try that out, but stefan11111 encourages this approach for users who, by their post content, are likely to have more problems by following stefan11111's advice than by ignoring it. asturm's initial admonishment that stefan11111 should not encourage users to do something with known and unmentioned pitfalls was neutral and, in my opinion, reasonable. Your post is a bit unclear to me, but reads like a criticism of asturm's request, with no specific basis for why asturm was wrong. If you disagree with asturm's request to stefan11111, you should explain why stefan11111's actions are not worthy of asturm's criticism. Debating that might still be derailing, but in my opinion, would be less likely to devolve into a situation that needs moderator intervention.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I go away from the forums for a few days and miss something like this.
Hu wrote:
Not quite. stefan11111 routinely brings up and advocates the use of a non-standard USE setup with notable drawbacks, and frequently fails to point out the pitfalls of following through on that setup.

I did document it. If you see something missing, please tell me.
I may make a profile someday as was suggested, but I don't know enough about profiles now to do that.
asturm wrote:

Please, show us how it's done.
mrbassie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
asturm's request

?
logrusx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111 wrote:
Damn, I go away from the forums for a few days and miss something like this.
Hu wrote:
Not quite. stefan11111 routinely brings up and advocates the use of a non-standard USE setup with notable drawbacks, and frequently fails to point out the pitfalls of following through on that setup.

I did document it. If you see something missing, please tell me.
I may make a profile someday as was suggested, but I don't know enough about profiles now to do that.
asturm wrote:

Please, show us how it's done.

Stefan11111,

Without being aware of your other forum activities related to what Hu and astrum are not happy about, I think your involvement in this thread has gone beyond it's topic and scope.

With all the respect I can express on a forum in a plain text message, I kindly ask you to take your activity regarding your approach to a more suitable place, perhaps the thread you've created. This thread cannot benefit any more from you further discussing your approach here.

Best Regards,
Georgi
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my first post in this thread I gave @stefan11111 an advice to write an article in our documentation section. He adopted it immediately one day later. I am happy with his reaction and I am sure he will maintain this article (his baby) in the future. I am also sure that there will be no more advocating use of USE=""-*" in normal threads (because there is now a "central" location).

So, we have to differentiate between the past, the time in this thread before my advice, and now.

Our developer @asturm gave a professional answer in this thread. My colleague @Hu explained @asturm's answer with things happened in the past and in this thread (before my advice). This is all correct and true.

But because of NOW (=there exists an extra thread) I think there is no problem anymore and - if my colleagues go with me - I would like to split the last posts and move them into "Gentoo Forums Feedback".

I have a strange feeling (I hope I am wrong because of my poor english) that there is a misunderstanding from @stefan11111 that @asturm's answer (from his 3rd post: "I'm sorry for your loss [...]") has meant him. I have read / understood it as an answer to @mrbassie (maybe I am wrong here also; but for me it looks logical because it was one post below).

And I have a very strange feeling with @mrbassie's post(s); fortunately it has been already answered by my colleague @Zucca and can be closed therefore !
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@logrusx
@pietinger

I will refrain from responding as it may be seen as further escalation.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan11111,

It's a wise man that knows he can have the last word but chooses not to.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: