Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why gui-wm/dwl::guru installs into /usr/bin?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: why gui-wm/dwl::guru installs into /usr/bin? Reply with quote

when i emerge gui-wm/dwl::guru , it installs into /usr/bin.

If i git clone DWL source code into local, and make install, it will install into /usr/local/bin

in the simple Makefile for dwl (https://github.com/djpohly/dwl/blob/main/Makefile), there is an "include config.mk" line, and in config.mk, there is PREFIX = /usr/local

And i am creating an ebuild for rfm: https://github.com/padgettr/rfm/blob/master/Makefile . The Makefile also contains a line PREFIX = /usr/local. I just copy the ebuild from dwl and make adjustment for rfm, so, both ebuilds inherit the same set of eclasses.

But no matter through local make install or emerging through ebuild file, rfm always installs into /usr/local/bin folder.

I just wonder why ebuild for DWL can install dwl into /usr/bin, instead of /usr/local/bin? and how can i achieve this for rfm.ebuild
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually /usr/local is used when you compile and install software outside a package manage.
So it's correct that dwl ebuild installs in /usr while the one you compiled in /usr/local.
This also allows you to not overwrite binaries/libraries when you compile outside the package manager.

To understand why your rfm ebuild does not install in /usr you should post it.

-- edit --
See also https://refspecs.linuxbase.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch04s09.html
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: why gui-wm/dwl::guru installs into /usr/bin? Reply with quote

And to answer the "how" part of the question:

guyuming wrote:
I just wonder why ebuild for DWL can install dwl into /usr/bin, instead of /usr/local/bin? and how can i achieve this for rfm.ebuild

In the src_prepare() phase, the ebuild for DWL changes the value of PREFIX in the makefile fragment that makes the corresponding assignment:

Code:
sed -i "s:/local::g" config.mk || die

As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
guyuming
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GDH-gentoo, thanks so much!

I should have though about it. I have seen this line of code and even thought about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: