[Solved] MODS: Please help remove failed posts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject: [Solved] MODS: Please help remove failed posts Reply with quote

Hi,

I would kindly ask you to delete these posts of mine;
Code:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1163265-highlight-.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1163266-highlight-.html
They are empty due to a bug in the system apparently. Whenever a " sign is used in the subject it fails to post, and sometimes result in these leftovers. I an custom to use " in subjects, but now know that this forum will not work with that. If it could be prevented it would be even better, but is what it is.

Please assist, thank you.

Last edited by G3nt00 on Mon May 15, 2023 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What forum did you post them?
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
What forum did you post them?

"Portage & Programming";

Code:

Portage & Programming    >> can't specify both of "--emptytree" and "--noreplace" <<   G3nt00    0    0    Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 am
Portage & Programming    >> "emerge: can't specify both of "--emptytree" and... <<   G3nt00    0    0    Mon May 08, 2023 6:11 am
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both threads have been deleted. Thank you for the report.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: MODS: Please help remove failed posts Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:
Whenever a " sign is used in the subject it fails to post, and sometimes result in these leftovers. I an custom to use " in subjects, but now know that this forum will not work with that. If it could be prevented it would be even better, but is what it is.

Quotes and other special-like characters can be used, but due to how they are handled in the database, they can trigger an issue in the forum software which causes the topic title to become longer than it normally allows.

We've pretty much decided to not touch the current software, and rather wait for The Gentoo Big Forum Update (tm) to phpBB 3.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MODS: Please help remove failed posts Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
G3nt00 wrote:
Whenever a " sign is used in the subject it fails to post, and sometimes result in these leftovers. I an custom to use " in subjects, but now know that this forum will not work with that. If it could be prevented it would be even better, but is what it is.

Quotes and other special-like characters can be used, but due to how they are handled in the database, they can trigger an issue in the forum software which causes the topic title to become longer than it normally allows.

We've pretty much decided to not touch the current software, and rather wait for The Gentoo Big Forum Update (tm) to phpBB 3.

Got it, so is there a "planned" update somewhere in the future? :)
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: MODS: Please help remove failed posts Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:

Soon! :lol:
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: MODS: Please help remove failed posts Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
G3nt00 wrote:

Soon! :lol:

As in "any decade"? ;) No, seriously, It'll be great whenever, or if.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hopefully soon, which means whenever someone from the Gentoo Infra project has the time and want to work on it again. We had a few attempts/test runs during the past... some... years, and I suppose it might require me or someone else from the forums team to get familiar enough with infra to do more on that side as well.

That said, other developers have suggested moving to other things such as discourse, but then they'd probably need to find new moderators as well. :]
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
That said, other developers have suggested moving to other things such as discourse, but then they'd probably need to find new moderators as well. :]
That would really be unfortunate. The discourse forums I've seen are awful.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Chiitoo wrote:
That would really be unfortunate. The discourse forums I've seen are awful.

Agreed, I kinda like this style, clean, simple and effective for its purpose :)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in terms of regular users' interface phpbb is hard to beat.
BTW, does discourse even work without JS? I thought it was one of the requirements listed for the new forum system.
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:
++
Backend needs an upgrade for sure, but do we really need any more functionality in the frontend..? I vote "no".
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
BTW, does discourse even work without JS? I thought it was one of the requirements listed for the new forum system.
That depends on what you mean by work. Rocky Linux uses discourse for their forums. I can browse it, and see stuff. But it suffers the typical "everyone uses a phone and only a phone, so any other format doesn't matter" methodology of moder web development. On the other hand, I don't allow js. It seems like a reasonable layout should work without it. Also, the handful of discoure forums I've looked at have the same style of extraneous "icons" in the middle of the layout. Go to a forum category (ex: "Gentoo FOrums Feedback") and between Topic content and the "Replies/Views/Activity" section, there are varying number of icons / flair / who knows what that are obnoxious.

I guess it's better because it is the new shiny. I've not heard of any objective reason that it's actually better. No, js isn't that. I will grant that for some instances, the lack of mobile support could be an objective improvement. I question the accuracy of that objectivity on a technical forum that involves meaningful contribution / engagement. Maybe some day errors can be connected directly to GPT42 and auto-correct the problem, but we're not there yet (thankfully IMO).

And only in passing will I mention the issue of modern design that has super low-contrast as a usability feature.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
szatox wrote:
That depends on what you mean by work. Rocky Linux uses discourse for their forums. I can browse it, and see stuff. But it suffers the typical "everyone uses a phone and only a phone, so any other format doesn't matter" methodology of moder web development. On the other hand, I don't allow js. It seems like a reasonable layout should work without it.

Yeah, works to some extent at least, but it does put this at the bottom:

"Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled"

No idea what is lost with it.

Also, I believe phpBB-3 works fine with them mobiles, too, so there's that... if we ever get that. :]
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
G3nt00 wrote:
++
Backend needs an upgrade for sure, but do we really need any more functionality in the frontend..? I vote "no".

Yes, of course we need more functionality. For example a possibility to increase (or decrease) the font size.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Font size should be managed by the client, because the same user profile may need different font sizes depending on whether the user is logged in on a mobile browser, a laptop browser, or a desktop browser. Most browsers offer ctrl+plus and ctrl+minus to manage this. Some also support ctrl+mousewheel.
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Font size should be managed by the client, because the same user profile may need different font sizes depending on whether the user is logged in on a mobile browser, a laptop browser, or a desktop browser. Most browsers offer ctrl+plus and ctrl+minus to manage this. Some also support ctrl+mousewheel.

The browser increases all.

I am not a web developer, but as far as I know, the CSS files of phpbb deliver a font size. For the post it is set in the ".postbody" to 12px and for the post details (on the left side) it is 10px. I would appreciate a possibility where I could increase the postbody value to 16px and the postdetail value to 12px (not increasing both values by 4px).

Another idea is to have a dropdown for the font sizes with values as: "smaller", "normal", "bigger" in the profile settings (where it is possible to set the timezone, language, style...).
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sMueggli wrote:
Hu wrote:

The browser increases all.

I am not a web developer, but as far as I know, the CSS files of phpbb deliver a font size. For the post it is set in the ".postbody" to 12px and for the post details (on the left side) it is 10px. I would appreciate a possibility where I could increase the postbody value to 16px and the postdetail value to 12px (not increasing both values by 4px).

Another idea is to have a dropdown for the font sizes with values as: "smaller", "normal", "bigger" in the profile settings (where it is possible to set the timezone, language, style...).

Should definitely be doable with phpBB-3 (I mean it would be right now, too, but we really would rather not touch anything while it works!).

Regarding the upgrade, there is bug 880071 that those who are interested can follow. It's pretty new since I kind of thought we already had filed one ages past, but it seems we did not.

Not that there is much to follow at this time.

Also, some browsers probably still do (?) allow for custom CSS so a user can make certain site or sites adjusted to their liking.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree. The fact font's are kept as is, adds to the clean look, as do the scarce coloring. It feels like home really... :lol:
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:
It feels like home really... :lol:

It somehow really does!
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

Should definitely be doable with phpBB-3 (I mean it would be right now, too, but we really would rather not touch anything while it works!).

Regarding the upgrade, there is bug 880071 that those who are interested can follow. It's pretty new since I kind of thought we already had filed one ages past, but it seems we did not.

Thank you. It happens when it happens. Until then I can wait.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: