So confused by Gentoo networking - please help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: So confused by Gentoo networking - please help Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the most strange situation I've ever had on Linux right now. I have installed Gnome on Systemd and Network Manager to handle networking.

Something bad seems to have happened when I did a 'emerge -e @world' the other day. Since then, something adds a network IF automatically. I have since tried to uninstall Network Manager, set a manual IP and what-not, but no matter what I do, I still have a network connection.

I suppose I should be glad, it could be the other way around, but this is highly disturbing as I want to control whether or not my box is connected, and to what.

- Uninstalling Network Manager has been unsuccessful, I have not found a way that works (entangled with Gnome and all sorts of libs)... Please help
- Setting parameters for manual IP config is complete
- I stopped and disabled 'systemd-networkd.service', but still network connectivity.

It probably is Network Manager keeping the network running, but even if I set the interfaces (I only have one, but it insists on two profiles) to 'disabled', or even remove all profiles - I have connectivity. It is certainly robust, a bit too much perhaps when trying to find my ways though.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with checking the running services.

Also, NetworkManager is a way to configure network interfaces, but it's not necessary to keep them running afterwards. Should have disconnected instead of disabling it.
Does the interface stay active after shutting NM down, or does it activate after reboot even though NM is not running? Are you sure it's not running after reboot due to other things depending on network?
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Start with checking the running services.

Also, NetworkManager is a way to configure network interfaces, but it's not necessary to keep them running afterwards. Should have disconnected instead of disabling it.
Does the interface stay active after shutting NM down, or does it activate after reboot even though NM is not running? Are you sure it's not running after reboot due to other things depending on network?

Well, when shutting NM down, or as I did, unmerge it, I still have network connection, but when rebooting Gnome was very unhappy (grey screen telling me network didn't work), so had to install it again. So some dependencies still I suppose. My box actually configured two IP's before. After shutting down NM, it's back to just one :)
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using GNOME, NetworkManager, and systemd, all of which are known for helpfully auto-configuring things the way they expect users to want them to work, but also having a personal goal of precise control to make your system work in a way that may not be standard is, in my opinion, a recipe for frustration. If you want this level of control, you probably should not use tools that come with helpful automatically enabled defaults.

To start, decide whether you want to use NetworkManager and bring it under control, or whether you want to eliminate NetworkManager and manage the system's network some other way.

You might also find some helpful advice in Netwoking issues after emerge -e @world, which is another of your threads about this same problem. As a reminder, starting multiple threads about the same problem is discouraged because not all readers will see all those threads, which leads to fragmented responses, duplicate questions, and general confusion about what you have or have not done.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Using GNOME, NetworkManager, and systemd, all of which are known for helpfully auto-configuring things the way they expect users to want them to work, but also having a personal goal of precise control to make your system work in a way that may not be standard is, in my opinion, a recipe for frustration. If you want this level of control, you probably should not use tools that come with helpful automatically enabled defaults.

To start, decide whether you want to use NetworkManager and bring it under control, or whether you want to eliminate NetworkManager and manage the system's network some other way.

You might also find some helpful advice in Netwoking issues after emerge -e @world, which is another of your threads about this same problem. As a reminder, starting multiple threads about the same problem is discouraged because not all readers will see all those threads, which leads to fragmented responses, duplicate questions, and general confusion about what you have or have not done.

Noted. This thread in Networking was an attempt to keep things tidy, else its tempting to keep things together in one thread, but which may be a far cry from it's category. But I'll try to do better.

I believe I will study some more configuration options and eventually with the gained experience, reinstall Gentoo, that time with far less "helpful automations". I would not say I need full control, but just enough at least. The computer should do what I tell it to, not trying to correct or align what I do... :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3nt00,

You should have at most one tool to manage your networking.
None at all works too but then you have to bring up the network by hand.

If you network keeps starting at boot disable network management tools, until you can reboot without the network starting.
Now enable just the network management too you want to use.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I will check into that tomorrow I think. Ideally 'vi' is all that is needed, and perhaps a few lines in /etc/conf.d/net :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: