Router on virtual machine.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lekto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Router on virtual machine. Reply with quote

Hi, I’m planning to clean up my home networking. My idea is to upgrade my NAS, make router as virtual machine on NAS and give it some network cards through VFIO, which should simplify my current NAS, router, two switches and WiFi AP to just one machine and maybe WiFi AP. I tried this several years ago, but if I remember it correctly I came across chicken-and-egg problem: VM service needed working networking, but to get networking I had to run VM.
Is this problem still exist?
Are here people that run setup like this can say something on it?
Host would be systemd Gentoo and router on OpenBSD.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I set up my host with a static IP, that would allow libvirtd to run and thus start up pfSense. This still isn't totally ideal as there's a race condition for additional services like named running in the other VM, but I just let it sleep for a while... perhaps it's time I moved named out of the VM.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lekto,

My bare metal hardware, that hosts my router KVM and the system I use for remote control of libvirt on the (remote bare metal) have a static IPv4 setup.
That lets the KVM start and me sort out the mess without going outside to the remote system.

It would be a very bad thing to depend on dhcpd running in a KVM to distribute IPv4 addresses to be able to connect the the KVM host to sort things out when its not working.

IPv6 is static, in the sense the addresses don't change but my ISP forces dynamic prefix delegation, so I don't have working IPv6 until ppp0 is up and my subnets have been delegated.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: