[solved] Newbie screwed up sudo... Please help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: [solved] Newbie screwed up sudo... Please help Reply with quote

Hi,

As I was installing my Yubikey's I modified /etc/pam.d/sudo to require a key. Something upset the machine, and even after having restored the file to what I believe is stock

Code:
auth    substack                system-auth
account substack                system-auth
session substack                system-auth

it refuses to give me a password prompt! It just prints "Sorry, try again." three times and quit.

It's my own doing, I was trying to require a valid password before initiating the key, but it did not work out so well, and hm, restore didn't either really...

I could try rebooting, but...

Last edited by G3nt00 on Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pingtoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie screwed up sudo... Please help Reply with quote

G3nt00 wrote:
it refuses to give me a password prompt! It just prints "Sorry, try again." three times and quit.

This feel like pam_faillock at work. you can try command "faillock" as root, if you see your login ID listed. Then try
Code:
faillock --user <your username> --reset
should be able to reset the lock condition. and Sudo should then.
G3nt00
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie screwed up sudo... Please help Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
G3nt00 wrote:

This feel like pam_faillock at work. you can try command "faillock" as root, if you see your login ID listed. Then try
Code:
faillock --user <your username> --reset
should be able to reset the lock condition. and Sudo should then.

Spot on! I tried 'faillock' as root and didn't see anything other than what looks like headings for my user + gdm. I ran the reset command anyways, and well, now it works again!

Thank you so much! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: