Setting MTU on interface in down state freezes system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desooo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Setting MTU on interface in down state freezes system Reply with quote

Hello people,
I encountered the strangest issue I ever experienced so far: When I set the MTU on an interface which is down, my system freezes completely after around 10 seconds.
Also in about 10% of the freezes my system will shutdown and reboot right away.

I can reproduce it like this:

Code:
ip link set eno1 down
ip link set eno1 mtu 1400

It works if the interface is up though.

systemd-networkd triggers the same issue on a fresh system boot, when I set:
Code:
[Link]
MTUBytes=1400

The value of the MTU does not matter either, everything between 1400 an 1600 triggers the same system freeze.

I have a Intel I226-V (rev 06) Ethernet controller on an ASUS ROG STRIX B760-F GAMING WIFI board, issue happens on 5.15.102-gentoo-dist and 6.1.19-gentoo-dist kernels (and on my self compiled kernel, see below).

I even did some amateur debugging by littering the kernel code with printk and could narrow down the line where the freeze occurs:

It goes from here and freezes somewhere in this wrfl() function. Sadly that is as far as my C knowledge could get me.

The freeze is so bad that I don't get any more kernel / journal messages or logs and even my zsh history corrupts from time to time 8O.
Sysreq could not save me either, only a hardware reset worked so far.

My current workaround is to set the MTU after systemd-networkd brought the interfaces up:

Code:
systemctl edit systemd-networkd

Code:
[Service]
ExecStartPost=ip link set eno1 mtu 1400

Is this a kernel bug or is my mainboard garbage?
Is there anyone else with a Intel I226-V Ethernet controller who could try to reproduce it?

Thanks for reading this :oops:
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume hardware first, on the grounds that this seems like a fairly reasonable thing for people to do, and if a kernel bug was at fault, it would have been reported. It's possible that you're just the first to find a kernel bug, though. wrfl is a macro that expands to a call to igb_rd32. In turn, that function reads a value from the hardware and returns it. You could try adding more logging there, but the function is so simple that I do not see how this can fail unless reading a hardware register hangs.

If you trigger this while at a text console, does the kernel print anything useful before the system hangs?

Generally, sysrq should work unless the kernel has panicked or the hardware has stopped running Linux. I have seen boards that would fail hard enough that the kernel stopped running.

Has this system ever been able to do this successfully?
desooo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
If you trigger this while at a text console, does the kernel print anything useful before the system hangs?

No, only thing I saw were my own printk statements right before the wrfl() call.

Hu wrote:
Has this system ever been able to do this successfully?

No, I built the computer about a week ago and started changing the MTU just yesterday.

I also updated the BIOS and Intel ME to the latest version, but no success either.

Thank you for taking a look!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: