Installing GCC in Gentoo on m68k
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanley_Johnson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Installing GCC in Gentoo on m68k Reply with quote

Hello,

During an update of Gentoo on m68k (via a QEMU client configured as a Quadra 800 with 1008 MB):

# emerge --sync
# emerge --ask --verbose --update --deep --newuse @world

During the update of packages, compilation of gcc-12.2.1_p20230304 fails while compiling gimple-match.cc in Stage 2, with the following error:

/usr/m68k-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/as: out of memory allocating 4064 bytes after a total of 534245376 bytes

The system is not out of memory (that's what I initially suspected). The failure occurs with a single 1 GB swap partition. I also tested with three 256 MB swap partitions set up specifically so I could observe swap space filling up during the compilation of gimple-match.cc, and only about 300 MB is used at the time of failure. The compilation of gimple-match.cc in Stage 2 seems to require about 800 MB for g++ and an unknown amount for the assembler "as"; "as" ends up being at about 500 MB address space as reported by "ps auxw".

My question is whether it is possible to increase the amount of memory that can be used by GNU as. I believe I have everything relevant set to "unlimited" using "ulimit" in the root shell that runs the update. The ~512 MB GNU "as" address space limit seems to be hardcoded somewhere.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Stan Johnson
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: