View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: nvidia-drivers update crashes my machine Reply with quote

Hi folks:

It's nice that nvidia have a rapid development cycle for their proprietary drivers, which have been running really well compared to the old days.

My problem is, about half the time, the version change causes my running system to crash, interrupting the emerge -DNua world. That makes me unhappy and I say bad words.

Is there some way to have portage defer upgrades to nvidia-drivers and simply issue a warning "please update nvidia-drivers". Kind of like the way portage does for itself. Or better yet, refuse to even start the emerge until nvidia-drivers is taken care of. "*** Warning: running video driver 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-525.89.02' is scheduled for emerge. This might cause a system crash. It might be best to update it manually and restart. Continue? (y/n)"

Is there some way to make this part of the ebuild?

Cheers,

Jon.
stefan11111
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about that, but you can mask all the versions above a known stable one and only emerge the drivers when you know that they won't break something.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always --exclude nvidia-drivers so it'll be skipped if it shows up without needing mask, then could update it at same time as kernel or so allowing it to be updated fairly regularly still yet not out of the blue.

Most cases updating nvidia-drivers just render new GL/vulkan-using applications unable to start without currently running stuff breaking (so have time to finish things before reboot, it's just a bit annoying), but think some DEs (and depending on settings, haven't experimented much) may react poorly if they load new things using the new libraries and freeze entirely, guess it's what happening to you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: