View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Really slow KDE Reply with quote

Hi, I hope it's the right place to post this.

I've been using Artix with cinnamon on my desktop since a few years and decided this week to reinstall everything since my system became a total mess over the years. I use Gentoo with Gnome on Wayland on my laptop and I really enjoy it so far, so I decided to use Gentoo as well on desktop, I also decided to try out KDE because of all the cool features it has and wanted to try a "real" DE. The problem is everything feels slow, Dolphin can take up to 3 seconds to start and other software are also kind of slow to react. On Artix with Cinnamon stuff feels really snappy, on the same hardware (i7 4790K, RX580, 16G of ram). Is it just that KDE is slow and takes a lot of resources, or am I doing something wrong with my use flags, or with my config ?
lfckoce
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the GPU hasn't been set up properly? What does it say in KDE's settings>About this System under "Graphics Processor"? If it says llvmpipe, then it is using your CPU instead of your GPU for rendering and that might slow things down. If that is the case, I would suggest following the AMDGPU page on the Gentoo Wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
fbeth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your answer, it's using my GPU as expected. The problem was in fact coming from my kernel config, a friend of mine suggested that I look at my CPUFreq governor settings, and it was set to userspace. I set it to performance and everything feels snappy now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: