Using 3rd party app stores - not Google or Apple? [US]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Using 3rd party app stores - not Google or Apple? [US] Reply with quote

Is this possible any more in the US? I don't imagine Apple has ever allowed it. I believe Samsung's bootloader isn't unlockable. And there don't appear to be many other major brands of cell phone

I won't bother asking about replaceable batteries or slots for external storage. My previous phone was one of the last remaining few that offered those :(
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my android device (Nokia X20) I changed all base sistem app with Simple Mobile Tools, you can find them or in Play Store or on F-Droid.
For uninstall base app I used the Fitzcarraldo's method with adb.
A list of FOSS application on https://github.com/offa/android-foss.

For Apple I don't know.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PJP.

I haven't come across any Samsung phones that can't be rooted... maybe I'm buying them a bit later than you are (i.e. allowing time for folk to develop the methods for rooting them), but in my experience nearly all Android phones (be they Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, Sony or whatever) can be rooted and then you can do what you like. At long last I'm on a stock phone OS (Android 12 on an Asus ROG phone 5) that provides enough basic, head-slappingly-obvious functionality (like being able to edit the app names on the home screens and customize the panel shortcuts and so on) that I'm happy without rooting it... but most of my phones in the past have had their crappy unusable stock OS swapped out for LineageOS or whatever within a day or two of buying them and being frustrated by all the basic stuff they refused to do.

On the other hand if you're talking about secure, officially supported/vetted (by the phone companies) alternatives to Google's and Apple's app stores, the only one I'm aware of is Huawei's... and that's perhaps abusing the definition of "secure" (the Chinese government probably has full unrestricted access to all the info Huawei handles). If by "slots for external storage" you mean micro SD cards, perhaps the US market is different, but here in New Zealand there are still plenty of models offering that. Samsung's A13, A53 and A73 are on retail shelves at the moment here, and can use SD cards, and it looks like a few other brands like Nokia and Oppo (and the Asus ROG phone 6) support them too. Also, whereas it's obviously too inconvenient for always-available storage, modern phones without SD slots do still have "slots for external storage" in the sense that you can stick a USB drive into the USB-C slot (the same one you use to charge the phone). It used to be a deal-breaker for me, that phones had to support micro-SD, but (as with the precious stereo audio jack) I have to admit I'm getting less precious about that stuff as the other tech gets better (e.g. my current phone has my entire music collection stored on it locally... and it still has well over 400GB of internal storage available, so the only reason I'd need more storage would be for recording lots of high-quality video... and I don't think it would be unbearably inconvenient just to plug in a USB stick at the end of the day to offload the video).

I don't know what the story is with replaceable batteries though... don't think I've seen that for a while... but battery life and resilience get better as the tech improves, so if you buy a model with great battery life to start with, it should last so long before the battery life's a nuisance that you won't feel too bad about upgrading the whole phone (as the new phone will probably outgun the old one in lots of ways, maximum battery life included).
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this:
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairphone-4
Not really to my taste, but at least they kinda bring the old-school PC philosophy to the cellphone market.

Pinephone is good for hacking, but WAY too power-hungry to be considered mobile; it just munches through this massive battery in no time, so just "movable".
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
On my android device (Nokia X20) I changed all base sistem app with Simple Mobile Tools, you can find them or in Play Store or on F-Droid.
For uninstall base app I used the Fitzcarraldo's method with adb.
A list of FOSS application on https://github.com/offa/android-foss.

For Apple I don't know.
Thanks. F-Droid is what I had been using, but I don't know if all Android phones allow it to be installed. I will use neither Apple nor Google app stores, so I'd like to verify I'd still have that option before purchase. Naturally an in-store sales person didn't have much knowledge, which is better than lying.

Nokia appears to have some interesting devices, but Nokia's website claims AT&T doesn't have 5G. According to wikipedia, AT&T is the 2nd largest 5G network in the US. It may not help that they previously claimed LTE Advanced was 5G Evolution and that they now refer to "faster" 5G bands as 5G+.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Thanks. F-Droid is what I had been using, but I don't know if all Android phones allow it to be installed. I will use neither Apple nor Google app stores, so I'd like to verify I'd still have that option before purchase. Naturally an in-store sales person didn't have much knowledge, which is better than lying.

I have never seen an android device that cannot install a third-party apk (without root). You can check to see if there is a System -> Apps -> Special app access -> Install unknow apps entry.

Apple don't allow to install third party app store, but Europe Union want to force apple to allow it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
I haven't come across any Samsung phones that can't be rooted... maybe I'm buying them a bit later than you are (i.e. allowing time for folk to develop the methods for rooting them), but in my experience nearly all Android phones (be they Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, Sony or whatever) can be rooted and then you can do what you like.
That may be the case, but wikipedia has a "citation needed" reference that "US variants [do not have] the option to unlock the bootloader." Also "no bootloader unlock for the snapdragon version. Hasn't been for years." and "carrier-unlocked, not bootloader unlocked." [2]

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Electronics#Smartphones
2. https://us .community.samsung. com/t5/Note20/US-Variant-unlocked-bootloader-phones/td-p/2420966
3. Bonus link: https://www .theverge. com/2021/8/24/22639869/samsung-galaxy-z-fold-3-camera-disable-bootloader-unlock

I've seen other references too. Maybe that is only a reference to the normal "hostile to users" approach, but singling out the US market seemed to be an indication that it wasn't as difficult elsewhere. I think I've read other comments specifically about the US market, though maybe I'm misremembering.

I've only ever tried to do it with a Google tablet, but the procedure seemed questionable* enough that I never completed the process. (* primarily various descriptions that differed enough for me to not risk bricking the device). Ultimately I need it to function at least as a phone (and contacts), but if other components won't work, I might as well go with a flip-phone with no camera.

psycho wrote:
At long last I'm on a stock phone OS (Android 12 on an Asus ROG phone 5) that provides enough basic, head-slappingly-obvious functionality (like being able to edit the app names on the home screens and customize the panel shortcuts and so on) that I'm happy without rooting it... but most of my phones in the past have had their crappy unusable stock OS swapped out for LineageOS or whatever within a day or two of buying them and being frustrated by all the basic stuff they refused to do.
Side-loading apps is the minimum, being able to install a different OS or remove some junk carrier apps would be nice.

My LG V10 was really, really nice with minimal changes from AOSP. In 2014/2015, it seems better compared to the Pixel 6a from last year:

V10: 5.7 in (140 mm) 2560×1440 1440p (515 ppi)
6a: 6.1-inch (156 mm) 1080 x 2400 (429 ppi)

The V10's back was also tapered from the center toward the edges, making it very comfortable to hold. The oddly tall and narrow current devices seem strange, not to mention the "hard edges" of the rectangular cuboid style. Maybe they won't feel bad over time and it's primarily different from what has been "normal" for me.

psycho wrote:
On the other hand if you're talking about secure, officially supported/vetted (by the phone companies) alternatives to Google's and Apple's app stores, the only one I'm aware of is Huawei's... and that's perhaps abusing the definition of "secure" (the Chinese government probably has full unrestricted access to all the info Huawei handles).
I think Amazon has something? Maybe not. I'm primarily referring to F-Droid or anything that might be considered as equivalent, now or something in the future.

psycho wrote:
If by "slots for external storage" you mean micro SD cards, perhaps the US market is different, but here in New Zealand there are still plenty of models offering that. Samsung's A13, A53 and A73 are on retail shelves at the moment here, and can use SD cards, and it looks like a few other brands like Nokia and Oppo (and the Asus ROG phone 6) support them too. Also, whereas it's obviously too inconvenient for always-available storage, modern phones without SD slots do still have "slots for external storage" in the sense that you can stick a USB drive into the USB-C slot (the same one you use to charge the phone).
Yes, that's what I meant. On my V10, the external slot was inside where the replaceable battery was located. The slot for storage was above the slot for the SIM card. At the time of purchase, that seemed to be the best option for removable storage and battery. The protruding "dongle" approach is an anti-feature in my opinion. Perhaps unsurprisingly, neither am I a fan of wireless devices, though I begrudgingly use a wireless network (we'll not discuss specifics about how long ago I should have upgraded).

psycho wrote:
It used to be a deal-breaker for me, that phones had to support micro-SD, but (as with the precious stereo audio jack) I have to admit I'm getting less precious about that stuff as the other tech gets better (e.g. my current phone has my entire music collection stored on it locally... and it still has well over 400GB of internal storage available, so the only reason I'd need more storage would be for recording lots of high-quality video... and I don't think it would be unbearably inconvenient just to plug in a USB stick at the end of the day to offload the video).
For me it is about functionality. It is (or was) easier to move the storage between devices rather than connect the device via cable and have to find instructions on how to access the contents.

But I've given up on it being a deal breaker. I'll mostly be treating my next phone as an island with which I do very little. To be fair, it wasn't until early 2022 when I bought a micro-SD card for the V10 and loaded it with music. Unfortunately the F-Droid VLC app didn't recognize all of the music (never mind that the UI was atrocious). So I probably won't bother trying to use my next phone for music, especially if it would require Bluetooth headphones.

psycho wrote:
I don't know what the story is with replaceable batteries though... don't think I've seen that for a while... but battery life and resilience get better as the tech improves, so if you buy a model with great battery life to start with, it should last so long before the battery life's a nuisance that you won't feel too bad about upgrading the whole phone (as the new phone will probably outgun the old one in lots of ways, maximum battery life included).
The disposable nature of tech is beyond ridiculous, but I can't change that. My replacement battery is fine, and allowed me another couple of years, so I guess that may not be worth it depending on how commonly phones die after warranty. But I'm also not going to spend a lot for disposable goods. The Pixel 6a is more than I'd like at a discounted $350.

I'll look more closely at the Samsung models you mentioned and see if I can source an Asus.

Thanks!
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
most of my phones in the past have had their crappy unusable stock OS swapped out for LineageOS or whatever within a day or two of buying them

Yup :D

psycho wrote:
the precious stereo audio jack

I flat-out refuse to buy anything without a 3.5mm headphone jack. That makes handset choices very limited these days, but it's a feature I use daily and it's non-negotiable.

psycho wrote:
if you buy a model with great battery life to start with, it should last so long before the battery life's a nuisance that you won't feel too bad about upgrading the whole phone.

I'll take an internal battery if (and only if) it can be replaced without undue screwing around (i.e. glue and glass removal).
I'm not buying that "It'll be obsolete before you need to replace the battery" nonsense either, that's just marketing drivel for "we're desperate for you to buy more disposable crap, but we've run out of genuinely useful stuff to add to them so planned-obsolescence is all we got left".
All li-ion batteries degrade with time and use, and trashing tech for the want of a consumable part is idiotic, regardless of one's personal "nuisance" threshold.

I have an old S5 here with all those "obsolete" features (headphone jack, removable battery, expandable storage, full water resistance) and so long as you're not planning heavy gaming on it it runs absolutely swell.
Nearly 8 years old, on it's 3rd battery (IIRC) for better-than-new endurance, plenty of (microSD) storage, and still getting unofficial updates (lineageOS) long after Samsung abandoned it too. Why exactly would I want to "upgrade" it?
I mean I am kinda looking, but aside from more RAM (nice, but not a big deal), a faster CPU (don't care) and more cameras (really don't care), I'm not seeing much that appeals TBH.

fedeliallalinea wrote:
I have never seen an android device that cannot install a third-party apk (without root). You can check to see if there is a System -> Apps -> Special app access -> Install unknow apps entry.

Likewise.
The real reason (IMO) to go with a device that has good support from the ROM / rooting community is the ability to use only 3rd-party/FOSS app stores, and remove (or not install to begin with) all the google garbage... That and the ability to do system-wide adblocking (including most in-app ads if you must run that junk) of course.

Last edited by steve_v on Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I stumbled upon this:
https://shop.fairphone.com/en/buy-fairphone-4
Not really to my taste, but at least they kinda bring the old-school PC philosophy to the cellphone market.

Pinephone is good for hacking, but WAY too power-hungry to be considered mobile; it just munches through this massive battery in no time, so just "movable".
Fairphone is Europe only for now. Maybe the Pinephone is the new luggable. Are they heavy for a mobile device? :)

I loosely keep an eye on Pine64, but I'm not sure they're fairing any better than Prism. The market is obviously tough, but I need a device that is primarily functional rather than a hobby.

Hopefully both do well. I'd love to see a product that was good enough to be a phone or a general computing device.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:

Apple don't allow to install third party app store, but Europe Union want to force apple to allow it.
I'll have to make another trip and see. As much as I dislike Samsung, they might be the least objectionable, at least among what I can get locally.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe the Pinephone is the new luggable. Are they heavy for a mobile device? :)
No, not really heavy. I think it's slightly bigger than average smartphone, but I don't really feel this difference in my pocket.
The problem is it's basically grid-tied.
Say, I was playing with GPS (Yeah, yeah, the receiver doesn't work... Except you can simply switch it on and then it does) and it dropped the battery from 100 to 0 in like 2 hours and the case got somewhat uncomfortably hot to the touch. That's a lot of energy sunk right there.
I saw some talk abut its CPU being from an older generation, which is not as efficient as more modern versions. I guess it makes sense given the situation above.

It's one of the reasons why I'm having a hard time getting back to making a custom image for it. I mean, I already know I won't be able to actually use it for its intended purpose, so why bother pushing through other obstacles?

Quote:
Nokia appears to have some interesting devices, but Nokia's website claims AT&T doesn't have 5G. According to wikipedia, AT&T is the 2nd largest 5G network in the US. It may not help that they previously claimed LTE Advanced was 5G Evolution and that they now refer to "faster" 5G bands as 5G+.

Who would have thought that a company dared to lie to make money? :lol:
I have some reservations about 5G though: LTE already offers more speed than mobile devices need, and it's difficult to measure strength of a shaped signal which makes enforcing power limits difficult.
I wonder who will be using all the extra bandwidth once infrastructure is fully deployed (Spycams, anyone?). Also, yay for radio-beam-fried eggs!
Well, hopefully not, but with 0 benefits even a tiny risk is a net loss, so why go this way? Ultimately, if payers use available base stations, providers will deploy more of them, and if payers refuse, the providers will back off.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_v wrote:
I flat-out refuse to buy anything without a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Again, that used to be my own policy, too... but if I want audiophile-quality sound I'm going to drive it with a decent amp through good open-backed headphones (or better still, great speakers), so both the phone itself and the need for contained (rather than broadcast via open-backed headphones) portable audio really make good quality noise-cancelling bluetooth headphones a reasonable option. I certainly regard the audio jack as a valuable feature... but choosing a phone that's inferior in other respects, just so I can plug my headphones in manually rather than switch them on and wait a second for them to connect, no longer seems as sensible as it did when bluetooth audio was audibly inferior. These days there are popular BT headphones like the Sony WH-1000X series that sound great (amazingly great, for the price, with some music)... and even if I really felt that I had to use wired headphones, using a USB-C-to-3.5mm-stereo adapter is not such an unbearable burden that I'm going to choose an inferior phone (in other respects) just to avoid that.

Having said that, I'm serious when I say "I certainly regard the audio jack as a vaulable feature": its presence on the ROG Phone is one of the reasons I selected this ugly-looking "gaming phone" over the more popular Apple/Samsung/etc. alternatives. But, it's not a deal-breaker for me anymore.

I'm still waiting for a decent Linux phone to exist.
steve_v
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
if I want audiophile-quality sound I'm going to drive it with a decent amp through good open-backed headphones (or better still, great speakers)

That's the thing though, I'm not ever going to want "audiophile-quality" out of a phone. If that's what I'm after, I fire up ye old school HiFi and ridiculous floorstanders.
If it's headphones I want, I'll use the decidedly not-bluetooth (and probably also vintage at this point) studio headphones I already have.

BT audio quality isn't the issue - rather all the things I actually want to connect to my phone (eg. decidedly not-audiophile earmuffs at work, the old but very serviceable headunit in my vehicle, or some random piece of kit (maybe a homebrew amp or such) that I'm trying to test use cables.

I have never had any use for bluetooth, it's annoying, it' unreliable, and it's yet more gadgets with their own batteries. Plugging in a cable takes me a fraction of the time scanning and pairing does, it's 100% reliable, doesn't take batteries, and it doesn't suffer from random drops and disconnects in RF-interference heavy industrial environments. Bonus point for not needing to unlock my phone and enable BT as well.
I'd have to have a rummage in some boxes to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I don't actually own a single thing that I could connect bluetooth audio to even if I wanted. Those I once had bit the dust long ago, either because non-replaceable batteries or because they were more aggravation than they were worth.

Ed. Nope, looks like I lied. I appear to own some kind of "portable bluetooth speaker" thing. I've never used it, and I'm not sure why I would want to.

psycho wrote:
popular BT headphones like the Sony WH-1000X series

Cool, what hearing protection grade are they? Got ambient mics and peak-limited mixing so I can have music, hearing protection, and a conversation all at the same time?
I thought not. I have gear that does all that, and again, I'm not keen to replace it just because Apple thinks phones should be 3mm thick.

All my audio gear uses cables, and I'm not going to replace it for the sake of a phone. That'd be a bunch of perfectly good electronics going to trash, and a corresponding quantity of new stuff I'd need to buy on top of the phone itself. As far as I am concerned, no analog audio out == no audio out.

psycho wrote:
using a USB-C-to-3.5mm-stereo adapter is not such an unbearable burden
That I might consider, though it is again another gadget I'd need to buy to make up for asinine design decisions. It's also be oh, about the second device I own that actually has USB-C, and another ridiculous "dongle" to not-loose.
I'd really prefer a standard 3.5mm jack TBH.

# EOR.

psycho wrote:
I'm still waiting for a decent Linux phone to exist.
So am I. It had bloody well better have a headphone jack and user-replaceable battery though.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'll have to make another trip and see. As much as I dislike Samsung, they might be the least objectionable, at least among what I can get locally.

The Samsung device are good but the OS have plenty of bloatware. You should find a device with Android One.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I didn't want a Samsung. There really weren't many options. I think the Pixel, a few from Motorola, and a flip phone were the only non-standard options.

I've "uninstalled" / disabled most of what can be. I may eventually try to forcefully remove some stuff. If the nag screens stop, then I won't be as motivated to attempt a forceful intervention :)

The best thing I can say about it so far is that I have a phone when I need one.

What I'm most surprised about is how similar they all seem. Samsung devices seem slippery and made of cheap plastic. I suppose they presume you'll drop it to need a replacement or put it in a case. It was about $100 less than a flip phone.

I haven't stumbled across an option to allow F-Droid, so I'm guessing I'll have to do some magic incantation if it is supported.

Oh well. Thanks for the feedback.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can uninstall anything you want through adb (dev-util/android-tools). That's how I've removed bloat from the last few phones I've bought.

I currently have some kind of Sony Xperia, and my previous one was a Sony as well. They've both survived quite a few silly drops to hard surfaces, even one from a bike in motion. Previous one was only replaced because I borked the charging port beyond usefulness.

I believe the procedure to open up side-loading is similar in all variants of android, and you'd need to do the same to use adb as well, which requires activating "USB debugging" or similar, but well worth it in my estimate.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not sure when I'll try that. There appears to be an option to "Install unknown apps." Options then include Bluetooth, browser, email, some other apps, and "My Filies." So I suppose I'll have to copy it to the phone via USB or use the special paperclip to eject the flimsy microsd/sim tray.

At this point, I'd be as happy to replace the timer / clock app and the messaging app for useful versions. Though I have no idea how messaging works on phones and if that's practically possible.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On android you can replace all of the "basic" apps, caller, messages, contacts, keyboard, etc. no problem. I've done so many times before, but right now I'm content with the regular apps that came with my phone. I think they might be the plain ones that come with android. If they are, they've gotten a lot better through the years.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I suppose it is likely to be a bigger issue to find a suitable replacement on F-Droid (sometimes it seems like a place for abandon-ware or test projects before they're put in the Play store).

With my previous phone, the basic stuff just worked well. Obviously there's a degree of that's what I adapted to, but it also seemed to be an easy UI that wasn't "in my way." I presume the new apps are from Samsung (mainly messaging, contacts and lightly editing photos. Oh, and the clock/timer/alarm, including sounds). Maybe they're Android. Either way, they're awful. Everything seems more difficult and less intuitive. Maybe the apps I was using were made by LG, which would be a shame since they exited the market.

On the plus side I do even less with the phone than previously. And since I lost what non-critical data I had, I'm likely going to keep notes on paper. That was the one secondary use I found useful. Oh well.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had an LG at one point, I remember liking that one. I've never liked what Samsung does to their phones, so I've never owned one of those.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: