GCC, LLVM, Clang compile times :x
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pizza-rat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: GCC, LLVM, Clang compile times :x Reply with quote

Is there anything I can do about these?

I get at least one of them needing an update seeming weekly and it blasts my CPU for a good 30 minutes to an hour every time. Would it be safe to mask newer versions and update them maybe only once or twice a year or would that cause issues down the line?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 30 minutes? I'll take it!!! GIMME 30 MINUTE BUILDS!
Code:
2023-01-27T02:54:29 >>> sys-devel/gcc-11.3.1_p20221209: 9:07:36

If you want to delay them that could be okay but some software are tied to specific versions, more for llvm than gcc but could be either. Plus there may be security fixes that are in specific versions of gcc that you could be missing out on.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekly updates for these packages seems unusual to me. What is the output of emerge --verbose --info sys-devel/gcc sys-devel/clang sys-devel/llvm?
pizza-rat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Only 30 minutes? I'll take it!!! GIMME 30 MINUTE BUILDS!
Code:
2023-01-27T02:54:29 >>> sys-devel/gcc-11.3.1_p20221209: 9:07:36

If you want to delay them that could be okay but some software are tied to specific versions, more for llvm than gcc but could be either. Plus there may be security fixes that are in specific versions of gcc that you could be missing out on.

Yeah LLVM seems more necessary to update often but I seem to recall reading somewhere that compilers don't really need to be updated that often once you have one that works. Maybe that was bad advice.

Hu wrote:
Weekly updates for these packages seems unusual to me. What is the output of emerge --verbose --info sys-devel/gcc sys-devel/clang sys-devel/llvm?

Hate to say it but I've switched back to Debian Stable for now so can't do that. Was just curious if anything can be done to alleviate the load of these packages before I (probably inevitably) return to Gentoo with a fresh install. I love Gentoo but packages with really long compile times like those (and there was one needed for Cinnamon iirc, spidermonkey, but that's easily avoided by just using xfce or kde instead) make me feel like I'm wasting power and potentially hardware life compared to using Debian or Arch. Maybe that's just pointless paranoia, idk.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekly seems unlikely, but I agree that I sometimes wish it was less frequent.

I regularly delay them until it is convenient. Especially GCC. I haven't had any trouble with it. Although I delay for weeks or maybe couple / few months.

More recently I've been blocking them until the "quick" updates finish. In my case gcc/clang/llvm take hours to compile. so quick refers to packages that compile in minutes or less.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
2023-01-04T11:41:52 >>> sys-devel/gcc-12.2.1_p20221231: 16:00:08
2023-01-05T04:10:20 >>> sys-devel/gcc-12.2.1_p20221231: 23′47″

Top is native Pi4 8gb, bottom is the sd card chrooted using an M1 Max.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much worse is gcc12 compared to gcc11 on the same machine?
pizza-rat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I regularly delay them until it is convenient. Especially GCC. I haven't had any trouble with it. Although I delay for weeks or maybe couple / few months.

I see, good to know that's doable. Are there any other tricks to saving on compile time I should know about? I've only used the default compile options in my make.conf from the install guide.
Also, is there a way to limit the load on my CPU during an update? I wouldn't be bothered by a longer compile time if I could cut my CPU getting blasted to 70 C down to the 50s or 60s. I want to get the most life out of my hardware that I can.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizza-rat,

If you need heating anyway, it doesn't matter if the power goes through your PC first :)
It all ends up as heat in the environment anyway. If you need to run a heat pump to keep cool, that does not apply.

The equipment will probably outlast you, barring random failures.
Even if it doesn't Moore's law ensures that you won't care :)

To judge the life margin in silicon based electronics, each 10 deg C rise in junction temperature halves the life expectancy of the part.
Even then its likely to outlast you. :)
Random failures excepted.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had a CPU fail yet except if I abused it by increasing voltage or mechanical damage (including heatsinking). Else it's always something else in the machine that fails first, at least I think that Intel and maybe AMD try to make sure their CPUs not fail over time.

This is not to extend to Nvidia or AMD's GPU department.

Anyway it's my Pentium-M got that 9 hour build time posted above and I let it go full bore, and this isn't the first time. Rust took 12 hours to finish.

Running your computer slower will reduce temperatures, however, ultimately you probably will not like the ultimate speed of your machine if your cooling system is limiting heat dissipation. Halving your clock speed will significantly reduce power consumption and thus heat generation and your insufficient thermal solution can handle it easier, but then you wait twice as long for the job to finish...
pizza-rat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, good to know. 70 C at load is still ~10 less than what's normal for my CPU anyway so I guess I shouldn't be concerned. I'm curious if compiling Gentoo updates every week or two would make any noticeable dent in my power bill, however...

As for Moore's law, I used my last PC for about 11 years and there's been very little I've done on this new, fairly beefy machine that I put together last year that I couldn't have done already, hah! I don't see myself upgrading for quite a while unless something breaks, and when I do, a budget build should be fine this time.
elover
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry about compile times, I only update one day a week and when I'm sleeping... it has 7 or 8 hours to compile that will never take that long.

Sun Jan 22 13:15:13 2023 >>> sys-devel/gcc-11.3.1_p20221209
merge time: 39 minutes and 46 seconds.

Sun Jan 22 23:03:59 2023 >>> sys-devel/llvm-15.0.7
merge time: 43 minutes and 39 seconds.

Sun Jan 22 16:06:31 2023 >>> sys-devel/clang-15.0.6-r1
merge time: 35 minutes and 43 seconds.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: