sys-apps/util-linux-2.38.1 and more command [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: sys-apps/util-linux-2.38.1 and more command [SOLVED] Reply with quote

My last update had an update of util-linux from 2.37.4 to the above 2.38.1, and the more command starting doing something I've never seen:

When using the more command on a file, more no longer exits at the end of the file. It displays the "(END)" prompt, and hitting the space bar just keeps reprinting that "(END)" prompt. In addition, when doing things like "more *.txt", the end of file behavior that used to prompt with "--More--(Next file: <file-name>)" no longer happens either. On the first file, it gets stuck at that "(END)" prompt instead, where the only options are things like q to quit which of course skips the rest of the files.

Apparently the newer version isn't stable yet on x86, and my old x86 machines are still running the old version and work correctly. I'm getting this behavior on my AMD machine.

Very broken. Is anyone else seeing this? Thanks!

Tom

Last edited by tld on Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...wow. Apparently this is a "feature" that's being rolled back in 2.38.2:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6374737#post6374737

So as of 2.38.1 you have to use "more -e" to get that behavior, but that's being changed back to default to using the exit on eof unless POSIXLY_CORRECT is correct.

I'm glad they had the decency to change the default behavior back, unlike the core-utils devs with that bullshit change to the ls program that quotes files with spaces unless you set QUOTING_STYLE=literal. I STILL consider that one inexcusable.

Tom
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It IS inexcusable!

I wish they had a project leader like Linus 'we do NOT break userspace' Torvalds. See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
It IS inexcusable!

I wish they had a project leader like Linus 'we do NOT break userspace' Torvalds. See: https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/23/75.
I'm glad someone agrees. Back when that happened I recall getting into a heated debate with someone here who argued that the change made sense. BS on that for sure.

What happened with me when I ran into that was similar to what I've read happened to others. That was that I thought something was literally creating files that actually had the sigle quote characters in the name!!...and I was going bat shit trying to remove them! In my case, I haven't used any sort of "file explorer" program in decades, so there was nothing else I was looking at that would tell me that the actual file name did NOT have those quotes. A terminal program and the ls command literally is my "file explorer". And why would I think any different when the ls program that I've been using since the fucking 80s appeared to be telling me as much. Now that's a classic illustration as to why you don't blindside users with behavior changes like that. I spend a few hours thinking I was loosing my mind.

So yea...still pissed.

Tom
sam_
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll backport the (tiny) patch if a release isn't planned (see https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1703#issuecomment-1403202075).

Please do file bugs on bugs.gentoo.org if there's something you think we should backport in general. Cheers!
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam_ wrote:
I'll backport the (tiny) patch if a release isn't planned (see https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/issues/1703#issuecomment-1403202075).

Please do file bugs on bugs.gentoo.org if there's something you think we should backport in general. Cheers!
Thanks! What I've done is to just temporarily alias more to "more -e" until there's a change.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: