Orange Pi 3 LTS gentoo install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JumboAg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Orange Pi 3 LTS gentoo install Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully installed gentoo on a recent 64bit Orange Pi? I found the wiki for the older ones but my concern is that I can't confirm what bootloader if any its using. The Orange Pi 3 linux images only have a single partition (no boot partition) and based on the starting location, I dont think there's a standalone bootloader in unpartitioned space like the older Pi PCs have.
pingtoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on User manual, it talk about u-boot, so I believe it use u-boot as boot loader. If you have UART connected you should be able to see u-boot sequence.
JumboAg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like uboot puts its stuff at the very beginning of the drive before the start point of the first partition.

Guess I'm going to try to follow the u-boot installation site docs to compile and build and see what happens from there. Doesnt look too complicated. Thank you for the info.
JumboAg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* I got u-boot installed. It's missing a few compilation options but I believe I have the concept down. Here's where I'm currently stuck:

* I have a debian image running fine on its internal flash storage.
* I installed u-boot and a stage 3 tarball on a SD card. For now, just ported the existing kernel and tree info from the debian /boot.

Here's why I think I have u-boot successfully installed:
* If I reboot with the SD card inserted, the system DOES boot. Its taking the kernel and OS off the internal flash and not the SD but it is booting. With the card inserted, I get a ton of errors in dmesg and have no working networking. It shows eth0 but getting cannot attach errors (hence my above comment that I need to continue to play with the compile options in u-boot).

Trying to leap to the next step. No clue why its not even trying to boot off the SD. I'd take a kernel panic message at this point. At least that would show I'm on the right track. My goal is to get it booting off the debian provided kernel on the SD card and once I have all of that stable, THEN work on building a custom kernel for it from either gentoo or vanilla sources.

There's very little wiki info out there for the Orange Pi's on gentoo and what is available is for older 32bit boards. Flying a bit blind here but quite happy that after a couple of days it appears I did compile and install u-boot well enough for it to actually bring a system up.

Anyone got a ORPi 3 4 or 5 that has any suggestions/advice?
pingtoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Orange Pi, but I am playing around using u-boot for RPI 1b.

Do you have UART connect to your ORPi? if not can you share what was displayed? when you boot with internal, does u-boot message displayed before kernel?

It would be a lot easier if you can get UART (usb2uart connection, for example This USB to TTL UART converter

If remember correctly, the board use SUNXi based firmware(AllWinner), so it is possible boot off SD card on 4k address. with SPL+U-boot.
JumboAg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a UART converter but was already considering grabbing one for it. You are correct, its an Allwinner H6 so SUNxi.
pingtoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlong_Orange_Pi_3 for more information. I don't know if that is same device as your's.

If you need more help, I can give it a shot to help you boot into linux. I don't necessary know better after you got login prompt, but I been playing u-boot recently so I should be able to get you started.
JumboAg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the good news is that it appears I have u-boot figured out. The config file included in U-Boot's own repository isnt valid for my 3 LTS board (only the original 3). I did find a github repository maintained by the orange pi manufacturers that did have the LTS config and was able to compile what I needed.

I now appear to be reading the u-boot bootloader from the SD card. It's still then swinging over to the onboard flash to load the OS, but I consider this progress. Will continue playing with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: