Supply one password for multiple encrypted partitions luks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prologen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Supply one password for multiple encrypted partitions luks Reply with quote

Hi.

I have two encrypted partitions, one at HDD other at SSD. But I'm tired of every boot to have to supply the same password for both.

The passwords are requested in OpenRC guided boot process. There's a way to configure dmcrypt init.d script to decrypt both at the same time? For now, the script treats each partition in fstab seems as having different keys of course.

Thanks!
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want one password per se.

The way this is handled is to add keyfiles to all the partitions except root. Root then opens and runs the dm_crypt service which uses the keyfiles to open all the other partitions. This way it is invisible to the user. Of course some configuration is required. If the root isn't safe put the key in the first encrypted partition. Then you only need one password.

I offer the manual

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the keyfile to the root of encrypted initrd image, and encrypt it with your masterpassword, then you will only decrypt the initrd image during boot, and everything else is done via init script of your initramfs.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Custom_Initramfs
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Early_Userspace_Mounting
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want works out of the box under Systemd. No configuration needed - it just works.
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waking this thread to life again since I believe it to be relevant to the topic.

I have my root on one disk and home partition on another and I have to enter a password twice for the encrypted volumes when I boot now. I sort of like the idea of being able to access my home partition with a passphrase in case I would need to boot from a rescue USB stick and access anything from there. Would adding a keyfile override the passphrase option or could they exist in parallel, i.e. could I have Gentoo automatically mount my home partition using a keyfile and still access is using the passphrase if I would need to?

Thanks!
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to man cryptsetup, LUKS has 8 key slots. You can have up to 8 different ways to unlock the device. A key file on root, as described earlier in the thread, and an emergency password, would constitute 2 ways, leaving you 6 slots unused. You want to use luksAddKey, which will request an existing passphrase in order to obtain the encryption key, then will store a new copy of that encryption key sealed by the new key, which can be either a new passphrase or a key file.
sublogic
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
According to man cryptsetup, LUKS has 8 key slots.
And LUKS2 has 32 key slots (FAQ question 10.2).
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
According to man cryptsetup, LUKS has 8 key slots. You can have up to 8 different ways to unlock the device. A key file on root, as described earlier in the thread, and an emergency password, would constitute 2 ways, leaving you 6 slots unused. You want to use luksAddKey, which will request an existing passphrase in order to obtain the encryption key, then will store a new copy of that encryption key sealed by the new key, which can be either a new passphrase or a key file.

Thanks for your replies! It wasn't obvious to me that key slots referred to keyfiles or passphrases but the example at the end actually answered that.

Code:
Example 2: Add an additional passphrase to key slot 5.
sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey --key-slot 5 /dev/sdX
hrnick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I added a keyfile in slot 1 with the passphrase still in slot 0 and I can luksOpen the device with both but there are no lvm volume found. The volume group is found using vgscan, lvs lists home as not active (-wi-------) and lvdisplay shows LV Status NOT available. Also when running mkfs I get a warning message that a file system is found.

It seems as if the volume has not been activated but I cannot find any /dev/vg2/ to try to active it. Any ideas on how to fix this? Running vgchange -a y vg2 gives me a Device or resource busy error message. Thanks!
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe vgchange -a y is the typical answer here. Please post the output of pvs; vgs; lvs; vgchange -a y. Also, if you can see the logical volumes, then that suggests LUKS is working properly. You now have an LVM problem, not a LUKS problem.
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrnick, did you run into news item 2022-11-19? Your description sounds eerily familiar.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1160358.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: