CUPS : LaserJet 4250x : Gutenprint v5.3.3 : A4 clipping
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanthruster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: CUPS : LaserJet 4250x : Gutenprint v5.3.3 : A4 clipping Reply with quote

There is a problem in how Gutenprint 5.3.3 driver sets ImageableArea for printing with at least Cups-2.3.3
The bug is seen as some data in the upper area of the printed document is only partially printed - clipped,
the problem happens with native and wine applications and it's system wide. I personally first encountered the problem
while booklet printing PDF documents that had an image in the document header. Only bottom part of the header image
was printed.

How to fix it.

1. open in the text editor your ppd file, mine was /etc/cups/ppd/hp_LaserJet_4250.ppd

2. find *ImageableArea A4/A4
in my case it was set to
Code:
   *ImageableArea A4/A4:   "10.000 12.000 585.000 830.000"

3. change it to /*updated 14.12.2022 - better settings */
Code:
   *ImageableArea A4/A4:   "30.000 12.000 700.000 830.000"

4. now you have to either restart CUPS or send it a reload signal or alternatively go to web interface Administration->Manage Printers->"choose your printer-mine was hp_LaserJet_4250" -> Set Default Options -> click on Set Default Options button after which CUPS would reload previously edited PPD file and you're going to be so much better with LJ page margins, no problems with clipping, larger printable area

Last edited by lanthruster on Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you link to the upstream bug report, so that readers can tell when a fixed version is released?
lanthruster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Could you link to the upstream bug report, so that readers can tell when a fixed version is released?

I didn't report about this problem to the upstream yet. I'm in the final stage of upgrading Gentoo - can't find proper wording that wouldn't hurt upstream feelings at the moment. Just need some time to calm down from the number of reports and patches and then report about that minor glitch with due respect and optimism providing the level of eloquence that would be considered as sufficient.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: