Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing OSS sound device from Fedora to Gentoo (Daphile)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave the Rave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Installing OSS sound device from Fedora to Gentoo (Daphile) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a working Vortexbox (Fedora) server running Squeezebox LMS and outputting sound via a propriety OSS sound device called Lynx2.
I have another player which I boot in the same server using a USB installed version of Daphile which runs under Gentoo.
I wanted Daphile to recognise the OSS sound device (on the Fedora driven Vortexbox hardware) but it does not work.

Tried to copy the OSS files from Fedora to Daphile respective directories. But I cant copy the /dev/sound files due to Symlink error message. still Daphile does not recognise the OSS sound device.
Wanted to avoid recompiling OSS into Daphile as it needs a lot of work given Daphile is a lightweight Gentoo sound oriented software.
Anyway I can get the OSS device work on Daphile?
Thank you
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With recent kernel versions, the only supported sound driver is ALSA, which imply OSS is emulated. That imply than CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM must not be set in order to use an alternative OSS implementation.

Even if you can compile and install your own kernel, I don't know if your OSS sound card will work without to compile your OSS driver against the kernel.
Dave the Rave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
With recent kernel versions, the only supported sound driver is ALSA, which imply OSS is emulated. That imply than CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE_PRECLAIM must not be set in order to use an alternative OSS implementation.

Even if you can compile and install your own kernel, I don't know if your OSS sound card will work without to compile your OSS driver against the kernel.

Thanks for the reply. SOunds like I have to learn installing a new kernel then compile which is way beyond my knowledge of linux. Will try to read through
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: