View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: What is your oldest Gentoo production system Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm really lazy at updating my gentoo servers and I often need help from the gentoo gurus. I would like to know what other people are running, just to know that I'm not the only lazy guy. :roll:

My oldest System still online:

Production Date: 2006
Maintenance: changed one fan and the harddisks once

Code:
Manufacturer: HP
   Product Name: ProLiant DL320 G4

BIOS Information
   Vendor: HP
   Version: D20
   Release Date: 06/30/2006

emerge --info

Code:

Portage 2.3.40 (python 2.7.12-final-0, default/linux/x86/17.0, gcc-4.9.4, glibc-2.22-r4, 4.4.39-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.4.39-gentoo-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_D_CPU_3.00GHz-with-gentoo-2.3
KiB Swap:    2000088 total,   1856004 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 00:45:02 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 4e95f6c58f420c51d1dbcab0690949f47d9efc78
sh bash 4.3_p48-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.25.1 p1.1) 2.25.1
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p48-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.22.3_rc4::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.12::gentoo, 3.6.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.9.6::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.3::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.22.4::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.10-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6-r1::gentoo, 1.14.1::gentoo, 1.15.1-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.25.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            4.9.4::gentoo, 8.3.0-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.1-r1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.4::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.22-r4::gentoo
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my P3's, P4's, Athlon, Celerons have been pretty much decommissioned. However I do still run and update my Pentium M laptop (32 bit) that I've been running Gentoo since early mid 2000s. Hard drive I've swapped and memory upgraded, at 1.5GB it's usable and yes, latest Firefox and its dependencies are built on it. This is my second oldest Gentoo install however, the oldest one has hardware changes up and including move to a virtual machine.

-- edited: Dang, reworded above. Think it was 2004-ish that I installed it and rereading my post, I worded it really badly implying I installed it at the dawn of Gentoo and possibly before the computer even existed. This was clearly not the case...

Last edited by eccerr0r on Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you mean by old.
Code:
$ head -1 /var/log/emerge.log
1098916659: Started emerge on: Oct 27, 2004 22:37:39

but this isn't the original date. I think I deleted the original file, but I'm pretty sure the year was 2004.
The hardware:
Code:
DMI: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78GM-US2H/GA-MA78GM-US2H, BIOS F5 06/05/2009
and
AMD Phenom(tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor

but this is also not the original hardware.

I'm also running Gentoo on a:
Code:
DMI: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61PME-S2P/M61PME-S2P, BIOS F2 12/30/2008
with a
AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor

These are both x86 servers.

My NEW motherboard is from 2011.
amd64/23.0/split-usr/desktop (stable), OpenRC, -systemd -pulseaudio -uefi
LOR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
All my P3's, P4's, Athlon, Celerons have been pretty much decommissioned. However I do still run and update my Pentium M laptop (32 bit) that I've been running Gentoo since early mid 2000. Hard drive I've swapped and memory upgraded, at 1.5GB it's usable and yes, latest Firefox and its dependencies are built on it. This is my second oldest Gentoo install however, the oldest one has hardware changes up and including move to a virtual machine.

8O How long does the build take?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly my Pentium-M isn't the slowest machine, though it is second slowest computationally.

The slowest machine in my arsenal is my dual thread Atom-1.6GHz machine, but it has 2GB RAM and an SSD.

Both of these machines take a greater part of a week to complete their updates, usually I end up doing them every 6 months or so. The Atom I track/use more often because it's the (physically smallest) machine. It was taking over a day to build rust but it has gotten a little better due to rust itself and a little better distcc'ing. Last mass update took the Atom about 5 days to complete (and it did get a bit of distcc help, though network speeds limit it). The Pentium-M isn't that far behind.

Neither machine are pleasant to web browse with, hence they do not get updated way too often...but they will continue to be updated until Gentoo stops supporting them.

(I was about to write that as long as a machine has significantly more than 1GB of RAM I'd consider to use Gentoo on it, but realized I still have a 1.5GB Celeron 1.2GHz machine, alas it's in the decommissioned pile.)

---

So the ProLiant is a dual core Pentium-D 3GHz? How much RAM? Can't say it's way too far behind though probably around double the speed of my Pentium-M 1.6GHz and maybe triple the speed of my Atom 1.6GHz, as long as it has 4GB RAM or more...
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this Gateway ec1803 is my slowest in-production system. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gateway-EC1803h.26716.0.html I upgraded to 4 GB RAM a about 10 years ago.

I try to run updates on it at least once a month. At that interval, updates take many hours, maybe a full day. But, it's very usable with OpenBox as the GUI.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who run gentoo linux on slow machines are masochists. You should run arch-based linux distribution or gnu guix system on slow systems with little RAM.

I can't imagine running gentoo linux on anything slower than my main desktop computer.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building packages on small systems can be painful, but Gentoo is one of the better choices for what to run there. The ability to trim down packages by excluding from compilation any unnecessary features can make Gentoo fit comfortably in small systems. Careful use of binpkg hosts can allow the administrator to avoid building on a small machine, while still creating Gentoo binaries to run there.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the RUNNING that's slow, but the updating and rebuilding of large packages. But, I set it to emerging and leave it alone. The secret it not to watch it. Doesn't hurt at all.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Building packages on small systems can be painful, but Gentoo is one of the better choices for what to run there. The ability to trim down packages by excluding from compilation any unnecessary features can make Gentoo fit comfortably in small systems. Careful use of binpkg hosts can allow the administrator to avoid building on a small machine, while still creating Gentoo binaries to run there.

I used to use my desktop computer to build binary packages for another system. I got tired of doing this. I decided to use gentoo linux only on self-building machines.

I decided to use binary linux distributions for low resource machines.

figueroa wrote:
It's not the RUNNING that's slow, but the updating and rebuilding of large packages. But, I set it to emerging and leave it alone. The secret it not to watch it. Doesn't hurt at all.

If you have QT programs, they will stop working until you finish upgrading QT packages. If it takes days to upgrade QT programs that you depend on, you are broken. You need a fast machine for anything you depend on for work.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes there's no choice - as in there are few distributions out there that support 32-bit Linux these days.

Having more than one machine (and being able to use any machine) helps - just use another machine for interactive stuff while the other is building.
figueroa
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

croket
Let the rebuilding of large package go overnight when sleeping. There are strategies, including niceness.
fredbear5150
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Sometimes there's no choice - as in there are few distributions out there that support 32-bit Linux these days.

Having more than one machine (and being able to use any machine) helps - just use another machine for interactive stuff while the other is building.

I absolutely agree with you and this is the "philosophy" I tell people to use when they show an interest in running Gentoo.

Let's face it, Gentoo can be made to run well on just about "any old cr*p" as long as you set reasonable expectations around the limitations of the hardware and tailor Gentoo accordingly. If you then get two machines of the same architecture family then, of course, one can be a binpkg host to the other which means you can always be using one of them while the other one is updating.

I have a Pentium 3-based Thinkpad T22 from around 2002-ish that is an absolute joy to work on. As I do quite a bit of shell scripting for work, I use the T22 to ssh into my home server and do all my shell programming there - whilst, at the same time, having my email open in mutt in another i3 workspace and playing music in a third workspace. It has a great keyboard and is a wonderful and distraction-free way of using a computer that I've not experienced for many years now.

That T22 has a 700MHz CPU in it and 512MB RAM but that is still 200 times the CPU power and 20 times the RAM of my old Amiga 1200 that, around the early to mid-90's, was the first computing device that I used to access dial-up BBSes and the original dial-up Internet.

It's a great shame that younger generations today have no perspective on how computing power has increased exponentially in the past 3 or 4 decades - any of these CPUs is still an amazingly powerful processing device in of itself, it's just that software has got more complicated and a lot more bloated over that time.

There's also something very "comfortable" in having grown up as a "hobbyist computing nut" in being able to keep my hobby going through Open Source Linux and Gentoo - especially now with Open Source hardware and SBCs like the Raspberry PI also.
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Router: PowerMac B&W G3 350Mhz PowerPC Reply with quote

I don't know if using a machine as a router counts as production, but I'm running a PowerMac B&W G3 350Mhz PowerPC as my home router. I'm building an updated install on a second B&W at 450Mhz with 1GB of RAM. Just because you all might a chuckle out of it: I compiled gcc natively on the 450Mhz Box -- Compile Time: 44 Hours 13 Minutes.
For most of the rest of the compilation work on that box, I use distcc. Gentoo's documentation and the crossdev packaging have made this substantially easier for me to setup and use. Thus, a big Thank You to all the developers that make it possible.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I semi-retired my Atom 1.6GHz laptop/netbook because its battery is now toast and only gets 15-30 mins or so of life from full charge. Ended up using my (ugh) android phone as its "replacement" though not having a physical keyboard is annoying.

Still much more pleasurable to use ssh with the netbook but not with the cost of a power cord.

I'm surprised a PPC is that bad in IPC? I recall my Atom is around 8-9 or so hours with GCC. It's 4x the clock speed, so that would make it 32-36 hours if it were running at 400MHz, and I thought the IPC of the Atom is pretty bad. Might be something else but this is a bit interesting...
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: PPC -- probably the 100Mhz system bus? Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm no expert in these matters, but I suspect that its the 100Mhz system bus that the B&W PowerMacs have. My guess is your laptop has a substantially faster system bus. In my opinion, Apple stuck with 100Mhz -> 133Mhz system buses for too long. I think they could have done better.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, would not affect it that much. At a faster cpu clock rate, it'd miss more often requiring the bus more often. Lower the clock rate, also lower bus speed as less data is needed - so it all scales.

This is perhaps dependent that you have a memory cache, though I suspect most machines higher than 25-33MHz have caches... An inefficient cache might be part of the problem.
GreenNeonWhale
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

Interesting ... Thanks!
I'm assuming you're referring to a CPU cache. I don't know much about them, except that they're super fast memory, way faster than system RAM, for the CPU to temporarily park data. Beyond the fact that larger and faster caches are generally better, I know little.
In case anyone is interested, here are the specs, pulled from apple-history.com:
CPU: PowerPC 750 "G3"
CPU Speed: 300/350/400/450 MHz
FPU: integrated
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Register Width: 32-bit
Data Bus Width: 64-bit
Address Bus Width: 32-bit
Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
Level 2 Cache: 1 MB backside, 1:2
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oldest system humming in the background is from 2007 (intel Core 2 duo based with 4 Gb RAM - actually I remember when I was ordering parts for it the saleperson tried to convice me that 2GB is plenty enough, but I went for max).
But it has fully updated 64-bit Gentoo on it (*) Had power supply replacement and hard drive was replaced with SSD

(*) well, all my machines are frozen with 4.14 or 4.19 kernels, have not went yet for 5.x family
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Hu wrote:

I used to use my desktop computer to build binary packages for another system. I got tired of doing this. I decided to use gentoo linux only on self-building machines.

I decided to use binary linux distributions for low resource machines.

figueroa wrote:

If you have QT programs, they will stop working until you finish upgrading QT packages. If it takes days to upgrade QT programs that you depend on, you are broken. You need a fast machine for anything you depend on for work.

Being fast does not mean being new either. My office workhorse desktop is 2011 machine with 12 GB ram.
Still fine for all things I need ( computationally extensive number crunching I run on large clusters). In addition I have 2007 4GB ram Core 2 duo and 2017 thinkpad laptop (16 GB ram). All self building. No particular problems, though I long switched big monsters like vivaldi or rust
to binary versions (though I do compile libreoffice on 2011 and 2017 machines). One thing, if you update often, it is faster :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about repairing an old S775 board, unsure if it's salvageable (fried VRM MOSFET or capacitor, I think...)
I only have spare 2GB RAM for it and a Celeron 430, P4, Core2 Duo, and a Core2Quad. I guess the obvious choice is to chuck the quad in it, but if it's forced to run singlethreaded due to running out of RAM, it seems like a waste.

Alas this would technically be a "new"-ly installed system...
minosi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
Those who run gentoo linux on slow machines are masochists. You should run arch-based linux distribution or gnu guix system on slow systems with little RAM.

I can't imagine running gentoo linux on anything slower than my main desktop computer.

It is not that simple once more exotic hardware is involved. Arch would not even install on such systems to begin ... that is more a Debian territory as far as the binary distros go.

I had a 1998 AMD K6-2+ with 512MB RAM up until pretty recently.
Gentoo was essential there as the CPU is not-quite i686. For binary distros one had to fall back to i386 Debian which was really slow. Like half the speed compared to a native-compiled Gentoo.
That K6-2+ 450 was the fastest Socket 7 setup one could have. On par with PIII-400 but only when compiled properly with 3DNow!. It was pretty bad though when forced down to i386 binary distros.

I kept it as it absolutely flew on Win 98 SE for a dual boot and in Gentoo it was very much serviceable as well. That box was decommed 2019 I think when rearranging my work area. A shame thinking about it now. I had it up intermittently from 2001. Almost two decades.

Thinking back, it was a mistake to offload that box when re-arranging my work room.
Should get back to building a proper Super 7 box right after I finish my 2005 era Dual Dual Opteron build now in the pipeline.
Courier6
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say my oldest machine running Gentoo is a dell inspiron from 2006 (I installed it recently), running with a celeron and 2 gigabytes of memory. I use distcc from my frankly more powerful desktop from 2017 to help it with upgrades and general packages. I do plan on giving it an upgrade of the ssd variety. It is 64 bit so that makes building for it a lot easier on my more powerful tower.
_will.420_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run gentoo on a 2008 macbook, one of the ram sticks nuked themselves so it has about 800mb of ram and a core 2 duo. It took multiple days to install with an external hdd as swap because it kept running out of ram lol. It's pure pain but it's fun and it goes fast.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: